Hi, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I'm building an Arduinoboy, and I've got trouble right out the gate. The LEDs aren't lighting up at all. I've checked them, and they do work. I searched the forums, but couldn't find a post that addressed this particular roadblock. I've checked my wiring dozens of times (I'm going by 2PLAYER's fantastically detailed schematic). I assume this means that the board isn't communicating something, but I don't know what. Can anyone put me on the right track of what to look for?

Thanks.

Last edited by browntastic (Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm)

Michigan

Pictures please.

OK, here's what it looks like.

Last edited by browntastic (Aug 15, 2013 9:46 pm)

Cleveland, OH

Is your mode switch a latch switch? Does it stay on when you click it? That could be it. You need a momentary switch.

clovis CA

check the polarity of your LED's. they should all blink as soon as it turns on

It may be a stupid question but did you try power the Arduino with the usb instead of GB +5V line ??

Rhode Island

I was also going to say, I believe they should all light up once you power it, Regardless of your switch. Check the lines coming from the link cable

Michigan

My question is, where is your link cable coming from? I see you have modded up a link port, so I hope you're not linking your game boy to a four player adapter and THEN the arduinoboy. There would be no power because the four player adapter would not transfer power from one port to another.

To answer all of your questions:

@thursdaycustoms The mode switch is a momentary switch.

@Alley beach The LEDs are in correctly, and I checked them again to see if they were working (they are).

@xray303 I have tried powering the Arduino through the link cable, with USB, and power supply, plus variations of all three.

@2PLAYER The LEDs don't light up when powered. I've checked the link cable lines, and they seem to be in order.

@Jazzmarazz The link cable is coming directly from the GameBoy. I harvested the link port from an old broken DMG.

The GameBoy doesn't seem to power the Arduino on its own. Maybe this has something to do with it? When I plug in a power supply to the Arduino the LEDs don't light up. Does this mean I fried something on the board?

Thanks for all the responses.

P.S. I've got a backlight on the DMG from Kitsch Bent. Plugging in the Arduino causes it to turn on. Is this normal?

Last edited by browntastic (Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm)

washington

it looks like a genuine nintendo dmg-04. is that right?

as far as i know, the dmg-04s don't have a +5v power line.

i may be wrong though.

Michigan
basspuddle wrote:

it looks like a genuine nintendo dmg-04. is that right?

as far as i know, the dmg-04s don't have a +5v power line.

i may be wrong though.

You are correct, the do not have this connection. The lead must be salvaged from another pin and if he has not done that, then no powah...

Michigan
browntastic wrote:

To answer all of your questions:

@thursdaycustoms The mode switch is a momentary switch.

@Alley beach The LEDs are in correctly, and I checked them again to see if they were working (they are).

@xray303 I have tried powering the Arduino through the link cable, with USB, and power supply, plus variations of all three.

@2PLAYER The LEDs don't light up when powered. I've checked the link cable lines, and they seem to be in order.

@Jazzmarazz The link cable is coming directly from the GameBoy. I harvested the link port from an old broken DMG.

The GameBoy doesn't seem to power the Arduino on its own. Maybe this has something to do with it? When I plug in a power supply to the Arduino the LEDs don't light up. Does this mean I fried something on the board?

Thanks for all the responses.

P.S. I've got a backlight on the DMG from Kitsch Bent. Plugging in the Arduino causes it to turn on. Is this normal?

Wait, you say that the arduino will power the gameboy LED? That means you do have power in your link cable...

Are you positive that you programmed the arduino correctly? What pops up on your computer once you hook it up?

I's actually a DMG-01. Same story? Any idea which pin to use?

edit: Wait, I see it's the cable you're referring to. is it the same wiring then?

Last edited by browntastic (Aug 16, 2013 10:19 pm)

Nothing pops up when I connect the Arduino to my computer.

I just uploaded the code from here: http://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/dow … y1_2_3.zip

Last edited by browntastic (Aug 16, 2013 10:22 pm)