Neo Jersey

Bucky - great find, thanks a lot! will be very helpful when i get my powerpak

Chicago IL
bucky wrote:

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and the notes were very clearly out of tune. Anyone else have the same issue?

oh fuck i love that game cause its fuckin weird

philly

the game and the theme are so
":-D"

Ciudad de méxico, MX

wow, so if i do this mod, and put the lagrange point cart on the nes with a converter... it will sound with the expansions? without powerpack

philly

Yes it should!

Minneapolis

Well... only if your converter has got the expansion audio wired to the correct pin on the 72-pin connector side.

rochester, ny
bucky wrote:

The NES itself can't support expansion audio without a modification. You need to reroute the audio by connecting two pins with a 47k resistor-

Watch from 2:30 - 3:00. That's pretty much all you need to see, the rest is extra because he puts in a couple other things that aren't required to simply get it working. smile

are you saying that if i do this extremely simple mod then i will be able to play NSF files on my powerpak that take advantage of the vrc6?

GNV / FL / USA

Yes, that's it, Nick.

GNV / FL / USA

To be specific, it outputs the expansion audio out on a pin that is re-routed back in on another pin, and 47k seems to be the accepted standard for the level of resistance needed to get an acceptable volume from the expansion chip sounds.

rochester, ny
NO CARRIER wrote:

To be specific, it outputs the expansion audio out on a pin that is re-routed back in on another pin, and 47k seems to be the accepted standard for the level of resistance needed to get an acceptable volume from the expansion chip sounds.

right now i have my nes "stereo" modded, so that the samples/noise and the pulses/triangle get their own outputs.

you're saying i could have a third output next to those that just outputs the expansion chip sounds?

GNV / FL / USA
nickmaynard wrote:
NO CARRIER wrote:

right now i have my nes "stereo" modded, so that the samples/noise and the pulses/triangle get their own outputs.

you're saying i could have a third output next to those that just outputs the expansion chip sounds?

Yep, that's how I have mine.

rochester, ny
NO CARRIER wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

Yep, that's how I have mine.

do you just wire pin 3 to the resistor and then to the output jack?

GNV / FL / USA

As I said, the resistor connects audio out and audio in - and the audio in will automatically come out that original RCA jack, of course!

Last edited by NO CARRIER (Jul 30, 2010 3:37 pm)

rochester, ny
NO CARRIER wrote:

As I said, the resistor connects audio out and audio in - and the audio in will automatically come out that original RCA jack, of course!

but what if i wanted it to come out of a separate jack and not the original?

GNV / FL / USA
nickmaynard wrote:
NO CARRIER wrote:

It would be no different than the mod you already did.

rochester, ny
NO CARRIER wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

It would be no different than the mod you already did.

you're really being unbelievably helpful. thank you so much.

my final question - why would you want to install an on/off switch for it like the guy in the video does? is there anything wrong with just having it on all the time?