Minneapolis

Anyone done this? Playback of VRC6 or VRC7 expanded NES music (original composition) on real NES hardware? I have a feeling someone must have, but I'm curious what it would entail. EG, getting the NSFs to play on a VRC6 cartridge, getting the audio mixed properly, etc. As for VRC7, seeing as only one game EVER has used it for extended audio, and only one other game used it at all, and both were for Famicom, I suspect that this doesn't get done very often. VRC6 is slightly less uncommon, but still I have not seen any NSF playback software written specifically for that mapper. It'd be cool to mess about with it at some point (as if I don't have enough unfinished projects to work on. haha!)

GNV / FL / USA

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~tns/

astral cat

heart no carrier

Milwaukee, WI

Without that the only other way is eeprom carts I'm afraid unless emulated on Powerpak.  However something like this should be possible with CopyNES.  I also want FDS on real hardware...

uhajdafdfdfa

And how here have actually played or even heard a VRC7/FDS tune from hardware... what reasons have you got to prefer the real thing to an almost spot-on FPGA recreation (if you could even tell the difference, which I strongly doubt)? This is what I hate about this chip music fad...

</bitch>

astral cat
ant1 wrote:

And how here have actually played or even heard a VRC7/FDS tune from hardware

me

uhajdafdfdfa

Hehe, but I asked you if you had Lagrange Point and you said no. big_smile

Ok, FDS I guess... can you honestly tell the difference between that and powerpak?

Last edited by ant1 (Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm)

astral cat
ant1 wrote:

Hehe, but I asked you if you had Lagrange Point and you said no. big_smile

Ok, FDS I guess... can you honestly tell the difference between that and powerpak?

yep, i can with powerpak. but not in an emulator smile

uhajdafdfdfa

NEED IT ON REAL HARDWARE

astral cat

i'm not too fussed about expansion sound, i personally love the 2A03 chip!

Minneapolis

The reason for real hardware is just because I want to tinker, of course! smile

Montreal

I got a eprom-ised Lagrange point meself, didnt actually try to hack the code to play anything else yet.

Similar to this:
http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopi … d46ac3a1bc

Thing is i trust Kevtris's analysis of the chip 100% http://kevtris.org/nes/vrcvii.txt
BUT, havent seen any details on the FPGA implementation on the powerpack, and how it emulates it.

Last edited by plgDavid (Apr 14, 2010 1:10 pm)

Minneapolis

Now that's useful pigDavid. Thanks!

philly
ant1 wrote:

Oh yes, actually. The powerpak mapper, last I'm aware of, doesn't emulate the FDS audio very well. I was playing Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and the notes were very clearly out of tune. Anyone else have the same issue?

No clue how spot-on other expansions are or aren't with the powerpak since I don't own any expansion carts to compare with, but the FDS audio was the most problematic from what I've heard. I'll have to double check all this though, maybe I missed an update somewhere...

Last edited by bucky (Apr 14, 2010 11:52 pm)

Michigan
bucky wrote:
ant1 wrote:

Oh yes, actually. The powerpak mapper, last I'm aware of, doesn't emulate the FDS audio very well. I was playing Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and the notes were very clearly out of tune. Anyone else have the same issue?

No clue how spot-on other expansions are or aren't with the powerpak since I don't own any expansion carts to compare with, but the FDS audio was the most problematic from what I've heard. I'll have to double check all this though, maybe I missed an update somewhere...

i got the latest mappers for powerpak, but in trying to play some VRC6 stuff i made, i heard no expansion audio. is there something im missing?

philly

The NES itself can't support expansion audio without a modification. You need to reroute the audio by connecting two pins with a 47k resistor-

Watch from 2:30 - 3:00. That's pretty much all you need to see, the rest is extra because he puts in a couple other things that aren't required to simply get it working. smile

Last edited by bucky (Apr 15, 2010 3:02 am)