Milwaukee, WI

Hmmm.  Could you laser engrave (and cut?) some white acrylic for say... some DIY modular synth panels?  Going through you would be much better than Ponoko methinks. wink

Minneapolis

Yes, I can do cutting and engraving on acrylic. I could do it in white, but engravings in white acrylic can be hard to read. Better yet would be this stuff from Inventables perhaps... (comes in other colors too...)

https://www.inventables.com/technologie … ylic-sheet

Last edited by arfink (Aug 28, 2013 5:32 am)

UK, Leicester

I'd been wondering if this was possible/ how well it would work out. I may ask some of the DT teachers at school if they'd be nice enough to help me do something like this.

matt's mind

^ you could also use filler to color in the engraved areas on the white.

i've used shoe polish for this very successfully (as long as the lines aren't too wide it dries and won't come out, too wide an area it'll flake out).  there is also 'professional' filler for this sort of thing too...

Minneapolis
kitsch wrote:

^ you could also use filler to color in the engraved areas on the white.

i've used shoe polish for this very successfully (as long as the lines aren't too wide it dries and won't come out, too wide an area it'll flake out).  there is also 'professional' filler for this sort of thing too...

This is an excellent idea. I might try it on my GBC, as I happen to have shoe polish handy. wink

matt's mind

cool!  if it looks horrible it'll come off, at least the kind i have isn't permanent.

please post pics.  i know you will though

Minneapolis

I'll see if I have time to experiment after work. No shoe polish and gameboys in the office, natch.

Milwaukee, WI

Sweet!  I've read that the fill & wipe method works well, but only on gloss finishes.  Anyways, might be hitting you up for some white on black panels! big_smile

kitsch wrote:

there is also 'professional' filler for this sort of thing too...

Pshaw.  Go with the shoe polish.