Minneapolis

I have been away from CMO for a pretty long time, partly because I felt I didn't have that much to contribute to the community. I have been lurking for the past couple of months though, and I think I'm ready to share something which may be of interest.

I do laser engraving now, I have a small business doing this kind of thing. And as typically happens when you have a laser, I occasionally feel compelled to put random personal possessions into the laser to make them look different. Today it happened to be this yellow Gameboy Color. It's not in the best shape, I picked the most beat up one I had for this experiment in case everything went horribly wrong. Well, it did not go horribly wrong, it actually turned out beautifully.

The camera doesn't quite do the engraving justice. The plastic that has been struck by the laser is a slightly lighter shade, and the texture is smooth and quite appealing in the hand. I engraved the whole face plate without removing the screen protector because I thought it would rock to have the engraving run all over the face of the GBC. I have another GBC in clear-purple which I could try this again with a different pattern, and if any of you have ideas for what to do to that one, please comment and let me know what you think. smile

EDIT: You can find more information about my process and see the design sketches here: http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/2013/ … color.html

Last edited by arfink (Aug 26, 2013 5:15 pm)

Would be cool if you could color the tree and leaves.
Then it would look nice.
A real clear GBC (Japanese) would be awesome, then you also could paint it from the inside.

Minneapolis
9-Heart wrote:

Would be cool if you could color the tree and leaves.
Then it would look nice.
A real clear GBC (Japanese) would be awesome, then you also could paint it from the inside.

I have been contemplating filling the engraving with ink or some such, but don't have the supplies to try it yet. I'll try it some time soon.

Minneapolis

Another possibility for two-color engraving is to paint the Gameboy first. Then the laser would remove the top layer of paint, exposing the bottom color... hrmmmm

TX

The etching on the body looks really cool. I don't really like it on the screen though; at least in these pictures, it kind of just looks like the screen got scratched up.

But yeah, I'd spring for an etched case... if I made Game Boy music.

Minneapolis

Yeah, the screen is scratched up to begin with though, this was in very rough shape. tongue I also have noticed that at the transition between the screen protector and the body, there is some odd discoloration which you have to get at a weird angle to see, so for the next one I will remove the screen cover.

(219) Indiana, USA

This is pretty cool!

Also in the future if you decide to laser etch onto the screen cover (of a gameboy color) maybe try a plain grey cover like this:
http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/pr … reen-cover
I think since the cover has no lettering on it the laser etch may not look so out of place.

Please don't take that in any way as bashing though. It's just a little CC and a possible recommendation for the future!
Good luck on your future laser type projects! big_smile

NC in the US of America

I hope you can take a better picture of it, b3cause from here it just looks like somebody's cat got ahold of it. :S

I was going to say "maybe try something a bit simpler" but I can't relaly say that until I can see it at it's best angle. As it is, it doesn't really look very appetizing to me. Maybe a design that is less organic and more mechanical looking might be better, in my own individual personal humble opinion.

hiding under your bed

Hey, neat! I was thinking about trying this, but I don't have access to an engraver that's either cheap or free.
And yeah, let's get some photos of more angles and/or simpler designs. I wanna see more of this stuff.

Minneapolis

Well, I got one more GB to experiment on, so a simpler design is totally a possibility. I'll try photos again tomorrow with a more diffuse light source so it can be seen better, I think both of these photos don't work so great. tongue

washington

i think it looks cool!

if you found a way to fill the engravings with ink or something, i think it'd look super classy.

and then maybe some buttons that match the ink? the possibilities are endless wink

Minneapolis

Lots of good constructive feedback, I like this. Thanks everybody.

Chicago

hooray art
looking forward to seeing more designs

Cleveland, OH

Can you etch my logo into a shell as well as text? Would be very interested.

Minneapolis

I can etch anything I want. smile

Minneapolis
thursdaycustoms wrote:

Can you etch my logo into a shell as well as text? Would be very interested.

Do send me a PM. wink