Youngstown, OH

I'm curious what some natural reverb would do to a chiptune mix. A couple of my bandmates work for the local opera house and I've been on the stage a few times, had the crazy idea of using the room. Set up an amp on stage, a mic far across the hall, and record famitracker/sunvox/whatever track by track to maybe help the mix breath naturally. Is this crazy?

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (Aug 27, 2013 6:50 am)

Sweeeeeeden

Or perhaps an impulse response (convolution) reverb? You record the profile of a room, and then you can apply that to anything afterwards.

Chicago IL
nitro2k01 wrote:

Or perhaps an impulse response (convolution) reverb? You record the profile of a room, and then you can apply that to anything afterwards.

woah this sounds awesome

Yes quite a bit. I used to have a concrete cellar with some rooms I set up with different amps and mics. I've also done some stuff with long tubes, and gardening hoses.

Also you would get a better result recording the individual instruments rather than the whole mix. That way you could also reuse your samples in different arrangements.

Last edited by Glitch Militia (Aug 27, 2013 9:40 am)

England

ive done recording in an old church before. not sure how the massive natural reverb would sound on a typical fast dancy pop chip tune though.

Gosford, Australia

i'll be recording a gb + flute ep in a legit concert hall sometime in the next few months. it's exciting!

i used a impulse response that i recorded with a friend in a disused warehouse. but not on chiptunes. i dont think reverb sounds great on chiptunes unless you make it a "feature"

NC in the US of America

I've played my ukulele in the bathroom and recorded it

IL, US

i did an album where i ran the mix through a half stack and mic'd it in my little plaster-walled room.. worked well for that thrashier stuff

Brunswick, GA USA

There is too much racket in my house, but I want to try it a little. I wish someone would experiment with speaker cone sizes and microphones too.

[insert failotron]

Seriously, he's the man you want when it comes to reverb.
The guy rented a church to record his songs.

There was a topic a while back where he explained some stuff.

Youngstown, OH

I tried looking for a similar topic but couldn't find anything around what I'm getting at. I'll look up some failotron. Think I'll experiment with it. Also impulse reverb sounds awesome, I had a friend who told me about the possibility of recording a room's profile like that but I totally forgot about it until now.

Also Victory Road that sounds awesome, looking forward to that.

IL, US

oh, this is the one i did with plenty of room reverb http://datathrash.bandcamp.com/album/in … of-the-pig

buffalo, NY

a lot of convolution reverbs take advantage of stereoness, you know like how it sounds when you hear it naturally. 

Meanwhile, unless you were recording it with a nice stereo mic setup, you'd lose that in the process.

IL, US

you can mimic it with creative panning also, but doing true stereo usually sounds better

NC in the US of America
danimal cannon wrote:

a lot of convolution reverbs take advantage of stereoness, you know like how it sounds when you hear it naturally. 

Meanwhile, unless you were recording it with a nice stereo mic setup, you'd lose that in the process.

Like... two microphones with a block of wood the size of your head between them?