California

There are good reasons for modding consoles even if you don't plan to use them for creative things, but like Cooshinator said I think it's kinda strange to come here just for the mods when this place is mostly about music.

Boise, ID

i'm partly here for the occasional ridiculous thread that blows up and gets entertaining

IL, US

who the fuck uses a game genie?

IL, US
rygD wrote:

there are many better and easier options for making music, so if you don't see the reason for people playing games on a game boy that was designed for playing games, how can it make any sense to you to use it for music?

a) i dont use a game boy that often in my music anymore
b) it always was more that i like the specific sound characteristics of chip hardware, not the fact that it was a game boy/NES/c64 really... and i use plenty of other "better" gear alongside chip stuff

what im saying is that i dont see the point in adding a backlight to a dmg/gbc/pocket when there are other options to play those exact games on that already have a backlight (or like i mentioned, use a NUBY/wormlight/other existing lights).. as far as other mods you'd do, i've never been big on purely cosmetic mods and i cant really see a good reason to do other functional mods to a game boy just to play games on it

Pittsburgh

Personally, I suck at making chipmusic. I give it my best shot, but I never really get anywhere. I listen to a lot of what is put up here, because I love the sound of 8-bit. I love seeing new developments in the community, from (any username here) releasing a new album, kitsch announcing a new piece of DIY gear, to thursdaycustoms/8bitastetics/timbob/etc. showing off a sick new DMG. However, I suppose that I contribute most to the community by doing mods and stuff than I do for actual chiptunes.
Also, very slightly:

ShintarouMusic wrote:

i'm partly here for the occasional ridiculous thread that blows up and gets entertaining

Unsubscribe

Good thing the forum doesnt have a music specific name.

VCMG wrote:

There are good reasons for modding consoles even if you don't plan to use them for creative things, but like Cooshinator said I think it's kinda strange to come here just for the mods when this place is mostly about music.

Very true.  I kinda suspect a bit of trolling on the part of the OP.  Realistically though I have found that kitsch, Apeshit and
others frequently post new things they are working on here, and it provides a place where ideas can be shared that are useful for musicians, gamers and modders alike.

e.s.c. wrote:

I do.  I bet a bunch of the people who buy them on ebay and such do.  Some modern flash carts have game genie functionality built in.

e.s.c. wrote:
rygD wrote:

there are many better and easier options for making music, so if you don't see the reason for people playing games on a game boy that was designed for playing games, how can it make any sense to you to use it for music?

a) i dont use a game boy that often in my music anymore
b) it always was more that i like the specific sound characteristics of chip hardware, not the fact that it was a game boy/NES/c64 really... and i use plenty of other "better" gear alongside chip stuff

what im saying is that i dont see the point in adding a backlight to a dmg/gbc/pocket when there are other options to play those exact games on that already have a backlight (or like i mentioned, use a NUBY/wormlight/other existing lights).. as far as other mods you'd do, i've never been big on purely cosmetic mods and i cant really see a good reason to do other functional mods to a game boy just to play games on it

a) other people do
b) good, you have your reasons, just like retrogamers that use old hardware have theirs.

you don't need to see a point.  people will still do it because there is a valid functional use for it.  were there not they would never have started lighting the displays of handhelds.  Have I shared my mods?  either way, art in many forms is popular around the world, and I guess you are not familiar with many hardcore gamers.  Go check out some of the computers people build.  Also many mods can be useful to gamers, such as being able to change clock speed.  It allows you to move through a part of the game faster, or slow down whatever is killing you.   these were made for games and people will continue to use them for that.  People have always modded their gear for personal reasons, whether that be for doing something different with their music, making their experience playing games more enjoyable, for having things they like to look at, or have fun with, or for bringing back an iconic classic into their daily lives.  Classic cars are a good example.  there are newer cars that are more fuel efficient that have more bells and whistles, but people still love fixing up the old ones and adding purely cosmetic things to them, as well as improving things over how they were manufactured.  they enjoy doing it, others enjoy seeing it, and it all makes the money go 'round.

When all is said and done I am here because this is a place where discussions on two of my hobbies collide.  OP may not be here for the music, but get over the other shit people are into that you disagree with or dislike.  It isn't hurting you.

washington

tbh i'm kind of the opposite. i'm not a huge gamer, and i suck at modding consoles (especially gameboys). i was so attracted to gameboys as an instrument because of their limitations. i'm not a creative person, so i have to either limit myself musically, or come across an unreasonable amount of inspiration. and because the gameboy is so limited, I'm able to write actual songs with structure and focus.

but i'm weird, so pay no attention to me. haha

Boise, ID
e.s.c. wrote:

Well...

and it looks cool

basspuddle wrote:

tbh i'm kind of the opposite. i'm not a huge gamer, and i suck at modding consoles (especially gameboys). i was so attracted to gameboys as an instrument because of their limitations. i'm not a creative person, so i have to either limit myself musically, or come across an unreasonable amount of inspiration. and because the gameboy is so limited, I'm able to write actual songs with structure and focus.

but i'm weird, so pay no attention to me. haha

That is part of what work for me as well.  my first real tool specifically for chipmusic was synthcart.  very limited, yet allows you to do so much.  I avoid most modern music production software for computers because i would never be able to finish doing what i am trying to do.

Unsubscribe

So why not hang out somewhere else like the ben heck forums? Because the mod designers hang out here? Maybe kitsch needs a forum for all the people that hate chiptune big_smile

well he does have the product discussions, plus the mailinglist, and he has always been good at communicating with customers.

Last edited by rygD (Sep 2, 2013 8:19 am)

Dallas, Texas

I was an electronics hobbyist before I got into the music at all. When I came across MSSIAH and SID2SID I fell in love cause I got to tinker with arguably the most beloved personal computer of all time. Then came my adoration for it's sound chip. Oh my word I'm in love with the SID in every way possible. I listened to DRAX and Jeroen Tel and there was no going back to being just a modder/hobbyist/tinkerer. I became a chipmusician.

One thing I didn't mention is that I also loved audio production before as well, but I was more into mixing/mastering/live audio systems than composing.

That all being said, I don't find it weird in the slightest that someone is here for just the mods and none of the music. Whenever I show off my backlit/clockmod/midi syncable DMG to any of my gamer friends, they drool over the thought of playing their childhood favorites on that system. Be it cause the backlight for a pleasurable viewing experience, or the variable clock mod allowing for fast forwarding through laborious RPG grinding or slow motion for tricky platforming. I actually wish more of the gamer folk would embrace these mods as much as we have.

I'm not really in to the music thing. More custom roms and such, and hardware.

Last edited by Glitch Militia (Sep 2, 2013 2:10 pm)

yea stupid don't u know functionality is all that matters

UK, Leicester
egr wrote:

Nope. Not seeing any value in modding for non-creative use.

Modding shows your creative side. I'm talking about stiff like painting gameboys, and getting coloured buttons, and backlights. Even though it isn't for music, it's still creative, it's artistic expression. Also, a lot of mods have non-chip uses. Backlights are pretty obvious, but even stuff like clock kits can be used for no chip stuff. If you want to speed up/ slow down gameplay. I know this isn't a massive one that people go for, but still.

What's your view on other console mods then, more modern stuff, or PCs?

e.s.c. wrote:

Me

I have to use it in a different gameboy though, because it doesn't fit my kitsch case.