Spain

I'm not trolling and I don't 'hate' chiptune. I just don't enjoy listening to it.
Most important hardware developments have happened on these forums or by people closely related to chiptune.
Do Kitsch, ASM or Thursday Customs have threads in other important forums? Maybe a forum with a custom Game Boys thread with more than 50 pages? I'd love to see that.
When I open Benheck's handheld forum all I see is a bunch of "Game Boy inside a frying pan mod" threads that lead nowhere.

I'm sorry if my presence here bothers anyone, it was not my intention at all.

clovis CA

im very selective with the music i like. i got into chipmusic by modding, i got a sense of accomplishment by modding smile

im not really into chiptunes LOADS but i do like them a bit. im here for the people the cool community of chiptune pals and for the occasional tracker music releases and threads and stuff about c64

Unsubscribe

Its fine to hang out wherever people share your interests, but its a little naive to want to hang out at a forum with the word MUSIC in it's title and not expect a little blowback when you tell its members that you aren't really interested in the thing they are most interested or invested in.

This place is a strange crossroads.  More true musicians and audiophiles can be found in plenty at Harmony Central.  There are some true audio engineers there who can give great advice.  For more hardcore audio hardware you could go to muffwiggler.com and check out the eurorack modules section.  That place has some real diehards and that place is filled with really NICE people.  Sad to say the genre that is labeled as 'chiptune' does not really get any respect in it's own right.  Most people that I have seen come through here just used it as a stepping stone and live more in the modular realm.  I.E Neil Baldwin and Low Gain, etc...  There is nothing wrong with liking more of one part than another, but be careful you might find yourself starting to like certain sounds from certain chips and then before you know it you are piecing together your own kit and making some crazy shit.
For instance, I started working more on the CV/Gate side of triggering sounds from a Gameboy using eurorack modules.  Vid here.
http://youtu.be/Pn8yjwvuqn0

Point is to keep evolving and learning no matter where you start.

NC in the US of America

There's nothing wrong with hanging out in a forum where a vast percentage of the content is about something you don't enjoy. It probably would have been best to keep it to yourself, though. Don't listen to the people saying "why are you coming to a forum about music when you don't like the music even though you like another aspect of the forum?". If one had to like everything musical about this forum in order to be eligible for taking part in it, I think their probably would not be many people left here.

it's not as if he's complaining about the fact that there is music in this community, or sayijng "why are there so many music threads? I need more gear modding threads get that music out of here!". He just wanted to know if there was anyone else here who was interested in the gear modding only and not so much into the music. There's no need to be offended and defensive about it just because somebody doesn't like what you like (the music). I know it feels like a slap in the face to have someone come up and make a thread like this, but I mean... if this place meets his needs for console modding discussion, then why drive him away just because he doesn't like the music part of it? He's not making any demands of the community to stop with the music.

To the OP: I'd recommend that you not be so vocal about your opinions of the sounds that are produced from these old consoles and computers. The question they should be asking, rather than "why come to a MUSIC forum if you don't actually like the music this forum is based around?" they should be asking "why would you just come out and say you don't like chipmusic at a chipmusic forum?"

IL, US

(shrug) i havent seen anyone who isnt so into modding be offended or defensive, just state that they dont get the point of modding a game boy just to play games on it
in short, everyone on the internet needs a slightly thicker skin and to learn to read with context

NC in the US of America

e.s.c: yeah

The funny thing is that the OP only made 2 posts in this thread. I don't know how much of what's been said is intended to as a response to something thedimitry, but most of it seems to be pretending OP said things that other people appear to have implied, lol.

I don't like chiptune. I don't hate it but I don't enjoy listening to it. I'm only here for the Game Boy related hardware projects and mods. Is there anybody else in my situation?

Like... OP literally just asked if other people like the hardware mods and not the music. That's like... it. They never said they expected this or that or the other, lol.

IL, US

does that somehow make me questioning exactly why anyone would bother modding a dmg when gba sp's exist somehow no longer relevant to the conversation? i'll admit its a tangent, but still havent had an answer that makes sense to me personally... talk about using the original hardware it was designed on, yet mod it and use a game genie? thats just weird to me.. if youre being a purist in a legit sense, i can understand it better (even if its silly)... back in the 80s-early 90s game genies were for the people who werent really very good at the games to begin with

NC in the US of America

No it doesn't make it no longer relevant to the conversation. I just thought that someone should bring it back around to the original topic of the thread.
Anyway, for me, The minishness of the gba is uncomfortable. I'd rather play gba games on a dmg if I could.
You mod the gameboy because it makes it function in a new way that you like while keeping the elements of the original system that you like. It's not really that complicated.
As far as cosmetic mods go... it is artwork to itself. Some of these things are just really nice to look at period, like graffiti or skateboard graphics or whatever.
Swords are cool to look at, and it's fun to see different designs and things, but I doubt every sword collector would want to chop somebody down with it... (I'm sure some of them probably would, though... >_>)

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Sep 3, 2013 1:33 am)

matt's mind

ahhhhahashdlashda

too awesome

thanks for posting that at this moment.

Florida

Oh SketchMan3, why are you so perfect?

Dallas, Texas
e.s.c. wrote:

...still havent had an answer that makes sense to me personally...

1. Playing on the same system they did as a kid is a large drive for alot of gamers out their. nostalgia is a huge deal to some people. Even putting nostalgia aside, playing games on their intended hardware just makes sense.
2. Functional mods like variable clock, as I mentioned just previously, enables one to speed through long RPG grinding, and also to slow down difficult platforming/shooting/flying stages.
3. Pro sound mod is useful for those always playing games using their headphones. I don't like constantly hearing a noise floor when there is not much music/soundFX masking it for me.
4. Aesthetic mods like backlights are obvious. It is alway better to be able to see the game you're playing clearly.
5. Lastly, painted cases and led buttons (like thursday start/select rgb) are just plain fun to install and fun to look at.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Sep 3, 2013 2:27 am)

Unsubscribe

6. Game musicians require mods to make the act of recording and performing music created using them easier. Because of this they have driven years of research and development, so its a bit oft putting to have people come to a forum design to discuss the creation and enjoyment of music and hear that a big group of people who post there are ambivalent towards it.

Personally I have yet to see one console paintjob or purely aesthetic mod that adds anything to the original designs. Most are terrifically ugly.

That last sentence is how musicians likely view the comments above.

Alpine wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

who the fuck uses a game genie?

Me

I have to use it in a different gameboy though, because it doesn't fit my kitsch case.

They fit ASM cases, if you like those colors.  They are pretty fucking nice.

thedimitry wrote:

I'm not trolling and I don't 'hate' chiptune. I just don't enjoy listening to it.
Most important hardware developments have happened on these forums or by people closely related to chiptune.
Do Kitsch, ASM or Thursday Customs have threads in other important forums? Maybe a forum with a custom Game Boys thread with more than 50 pages? I'd love to see that.
When I open Benheck's handheld forum all I see is a bunch of "Game Boy inside a frying pan mod" threads that lead nowhere.

I'm sorry if my presence here bothers anyone, it was not my intention at all.

I get where you are coming from, but I also get where other people are coming from.  As was said a post like yours is a bit of a slap in the face to some.   On the other hand, if there were no hardware people involved with this stuff at all the strictly music people would be using stock hardware or turning to the modders or original accessories.   It takes all kinds...

To answer your original question, I am here for a bit of everything.  I love music, games, mods, etc.   I like the sounds of the old hardware, but i usually combine it with other stuff.  do you play or mod anything other than game boys?

Alive and well in fucksville

I am in love with doing mods. Liking chiptunes is a by-product of growing up stealing my big brother's gameboy and needing a good drum sequencer to make beats to pratice guitar with. Drummers tend to get bored with me doing the chromatic scale. I like watching for rare stuff like nanovoice carts, nanoloop 1.1, pocket music, etc.