I had the pleasure of meeting Kitsch at BRKfest, and talking his poor ears off about everything possible wink I managed to purchase the first two "officially sold" clear cases before the first act played, and I must say that these are fantastic. It is extremely easy to transfer the battery contacts to the new case, as well as the metal backing plate for the cartridge slot. All the screws line up, and there were no manufacturing errors in my units. My only word of caution is not to screw the case in too tight like you would a normal DMG, just make it snug.

All in all, a fantastic product, and I can't wait to drill some pretty holes in it, shoving doodads inside and use it as my primary DMG.

matt's mind

It was so nice meeting/talking to you!  In a big way.  I think both our heads will be racing with some of the hardware projects we were talking about....  Well.  With all of them probably.  Very very nice meeting you!

That dmg looks so good in person the way you modded the screen.  I'll be copying you on mine pretty soon...  (the pics don't pick up nearly the amount this thing glows)

kitsch wrote:

It was so nice meeting/talking to you!  In a big way.  I think both our heads will be racing with some of the hardware projects we were talking about....  Well.  With all of them probably.  Very very nice meeting you!

You have me added on Facebook, we can definitely keep in touch. smile

kitsch wrote:

That dmg looks so good in person the way you modded the screen.  I'll be copying you on mine pretty soon...  (the pics don't pick up nearly the amount this thing glows)

Darkness pics (IRL it glows in absolute darkness from the very top by the cartridge and power switch down to the Dpad and A/B buttons):

Be aware that I did two things to it - removing the reflective edge liner on the panel, and removing the plastic screen mounts in favor of judiciously used hotglue. Got inspired by Maize's slickness with the no-plastic-let-the-light-bleed practice on his clearboys. I used your white screen cover, but I will probably wait it out and see what my options are when I buy more components later (clear screen cover hopefully).

I forgot to mention, the frosted/matte finish diffuses the light really well.

Austin, Texas
justinthursday wrote:

The PROM is still too big. Even if you solder it straight to the board. I got the DMG test cart at Blip Fest and ended up putting it in a regular case like this:
http://m40.photobucket.com/albumview/al … .html?o=37
The PROM fits flush with the front of the case.

Ah, thanks for the info. That's kind of a bummer, I really want a stock-looking PushPin cart with a label and everything.

Admittedly, there is no real reason to do that, but I think it would be cool.

Also, if I ever get PushPin + the adapter working (I'm having trouble finding good documentation about it), I'm pretty much dedicating a ProSound CGB to being part of that complete set-up as a one unit "Instrument."

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 16, 2012 1:37 am)

Cleveland, OH

Yeah I know what you mean man. Maybe start from scratch and find some smaller PROMs.

Austin, TX
thebitman wrote:

Those new cases look amazing, when can we expect to see them available for sale on the site?

Glad to inspire. I don't peel the reflective film though as it is suppose to reflect lol. Although it look like you aren't having brightness issues

Austin, Texas
justinthursday wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean man. Maybe start from scratch and find some smaller PROMs.

Perhaps. First, I'll have to get a couple of these from kitsch anyway to study them and perhaps reverse engineer some of it.

Or maybe I could just custom-mold a bigger plastic case. Who knows.

North Carolina

Hey Kitsch, any idea when the easy_CLK or the new clock kit you have mentioned will be available? Thanks!

matt's mind

easy_CLK should be in stock at any time.  i'm almost positive i've got PCBs already assembled, just need to throw the kits together.  as long as i've got the wire, i can do this today or tomorrow.

the new clock stuff....  BRKfest was a hiccup in getting things pumped out, and tbh i'm still catching up on orders placed while i was gone (you guys seriously overwhelmed me tongue )

but i'll have it out asap!  there are literally a dozen or more little things like that i've had in the works for a while.  i have a big problem in finalizing things.  or having them to the point i'm satisfied with them (which is a rediculous standard most times).

not great answers.  in short, i'm trying!  one man operation for the most part....

easy_CLK, not long.  other CLK projects, a tiny bit longer.  batt_DMG, i need more ICs...  i *think* thats all the KB boards that are sold out atm...

oh.

as soon as I get out to goodwill to get a keyboard, i'll have easy_PS/2 kits in the shop.

and clear cases/buttons should be up in the shop today.

and new backlight colors any time!  just waiting on them to ship...

and.....  (for the future)

Austin, Texas
kitsch wrote:

as soon as I get out to goodwill to get a keyboard, i'll have easy_PS/2 kits in the shop.

What. yikes

What is this?

matt's mind

i gave thebitman one at BRK to fool around with....  he's probably not tried yet though.  if he has.....   did it work?

yeah.  easy_PS2.  real simple kit.  just need a keyboard to try it out, didn't realize i'd either modded all mine or cut the wires preparing to mod them...

Austin, Texas

Yeah, I need to do more keyboard experiments. I got the process for making a DMG to PS/2 adapter down cold now, but I still can't tell if LSDj just hates my keyboard or what… we finally had to defer to Johan on that one, and he basically said LSDj just doesn't like some keyboards.

My point being that experimenting with an LSDj keyboard is a long and gradual process of trial and error, no matter how perfect everything is on paper—it's understandable that it'd take a while to develop that kit.

Well, that's cool, that might save me the trouble of soldering ribbon cable to the link port PCB underside and panel-mounting something. big_smile

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 20, 2012 11:32 pm)

matt's mind

actually, in the pics at the top of this page (page 40), thebitman has the kit i gave him laying to the side (on the keyboard).

sneak peak i guess tongue

its REALLY not a big deal though (i think you've made it out to be more than it is in your head possibly).  basically a breakout board for a PCB mount component, which otherwise would be a pain to install.  just something new.  its not a game-changer at all.

game-changers are coming though.  hopefully.

Austin, Texas

Sweet. Heyyyy, I remember that thread where we talked about those panel mount PS/2 ports! wink

I'm glad to see you went to town on that with a much cleaner implementation than I could even imagine. smile

kitsch wrote:

actually, in the pics at the top of this page (page 40), thebitman has the kit i gave him laying to the side (on the keyboard).

sneak peak i guess tongue

I have installed it outside the case, and it does work. Just trying to acquire the funky drillbit to use for installation (9/16" Kitsch told me). Literally did it last night. smile