The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

has anyone been successful in running the EMS flashing software in Windows 8?
i'm not all knowledged up with computers so i wouldn't know how to do it.

Taichung, Taiwan

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3178- … -dual-boot

Joliette, QC, Canada

Chad Roose asked about it yesterday on LSDJ group !!!
It's simple to get windows 8 to override driver signature but thing is you need to restart it that way everytime you want to plug your cart (...and it's a pain in the ass !)
Here is the link to show you how to do it !
http://www.craftedge.com/tutorials/driv … _win8.html

Nottingham, UK

I was gonna ask about this. Guess I'll have to deal with it.

Way easier to just install VirtualBox and run a virtual Windows XP.

Taichung, Taiwan

I use Bleep Bloop carts to which the transferrer program runs on XP. I also use a Macbook Pro and the Apple version of the transferrer didn't work for some reason so I just ran an XP virtual machine and works like a charm.

Sydney Australia

Virtual Box is the tits. If you can't afford Windows just run Linux, Although that is just as difficult.

Argentina

Is a pain... but possible.
You have to:
1) on the right panel, go to "Change PC settings"
2) go to General, and in the Right botton under Advanced startup -> Restart Now
3) choose on Options -> Troubleshoot
4) Advanced Options
5) Startup Options
6) Restart
...  yes computer will restart
7) press 7 for "Disable driver signature enforcement"

Last edited by Zuberi (Sep 6, 2013 4:05 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

awesome. i was finally able to get this to work! now i can do mobile .sav backup! thanks guys

running it on a samsung tablet/laptop

Sweeeeeeden

Doesn't DSEO work with Windows 8? I guess not since it's not listed in the compatible OSs. Otherwise, can't you press F8 when booting, like you can with Windows 7?
If Windows 8 is anything like Windows 7, you could try opening an administrator command prompt and doing the following command. This should make the Windows boot manager show up for 1 second on each boot, which should allow you to press F8, again, unless Windows 8 is different in this regard.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 1

Playboy Man-Baby
nitro2k01 wrote:

Doesn't DSEO work with Windows 8? I guess not since it's not listed in the compatible OSs. Otherwise, can't you press F8 when booting, like you can with Windows 7?
If Windows 8 is anything like Windows 7, you could try opening an administrator command prompt and doing the following command. This should make the Windows boot manager show up for 1 second on each boot, which should allow you to press F8, again, unless Windows 8 is different in this regard.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 1

Nope; Windows 8 doesn't have the F8 boot menu thing.
Also, DSEO doesn't work with Windows 8. Can't even use it to go into Test Mode.
I just used the "special restart" thing and disabled driver signature enforcement.

Sweeeeeeden

Hmm, looking further, I found this link: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread … -Windows-8

Disabling driver signature enforcement *should* still work on Windows 8, just not through DSEO. Use thi to do it manually instead "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON"
However, 1) you need to do it from an administrator command prompt 2) you still need to sign the driver manually.

Otherwise, try my other bcdedit line and see if that makes the boot menu show up at boot time. (You can even put a value of 10 just for testing since yo can change it later.) This should definitely allow you to press F8 on boot, which should simplify the process at least a little. Again, you need to do this from an administrator/elevated command prompt window.
Look here to see how to open an elevated command prompt: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 … dows-8.htm

One of these days I need to install Windows 8 so I can try these things directly and don't have to rely on other people's sources, though. tongue

Edit: Note that disabling signature checks, and enabling test mode are two different things. Disabling signature checks completely is considered dangerous because any application can now load kernel drivers, so it needs to be done at boot time every time you boot. All the timeout line does (hopefully) is allow you to get into the boot menu without doing the ritual with the troubleshooting menu.

Test mode doesn't eliminate the signature checks, but allows users to sign drivers themselves. This can be permanently enabled, but shows a warning text in the lower right corner of the desktop and also requires the extra step of manually signing the driver in order for it to work.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Sep 7, 2013 8:52 am)

CHIPcinnati Ohio

thanks for this thread. Windows 8 users (not many of us) thank you all!! \(^ . ^)/

Last edited by spOOked (Sep 7, 2013 8:56 am)

Sweeeeeeden

Could anyone please confirm whether any of what I said does anything on Windows 8?

Sweeeeeeden

Bumping this like crazy. Could someone please try either of the things I was recommending to see if they make any difference?

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:

Bumping this like crazy. Could someone please try either of the things I was recommending to see if they make any difference?

I would but due to being a distracted impatient dork I wiped my Win8 install while playing with Ubuntu Studio.  I'll gladly check anything you need in 64bit Linux if needed?  My EMS carts have been largely ignored since I no longer have an XP or even Windows install on my machines.

Last edited by egr (Sep 25, 2013 4:41 pm)