Abandoned on Fire

I got my MPX8 and have been playing with it a lot.  Haven't been able to get the "editor" software working on Linux but I don't think I'll even bother to figure it out since making kits on the device is so easy.

SOUND:  sounds great, reverb effect is very tasteful but effects the volume a LOT, maybe a slight bass boost at the outputs, "Tune" parameter is limited to +/- 4 semitones which is pretty weak sad

PLAYABILITY:  pads have a really comfortable texture on top, extremely responsive, all the flashy colors are fun

EDITING:  jog wheel plus four buttons, if you've ever used an electronic instrument from the 80s you'll be right at home (so yeah, pretty much everyone on this site), screen is big and not overly bright and is actually very impressive

SD CARD STORAGE:  the only complaint here is that you can't have any folder structure AT ALL, all samples have to be in the root directory of the card

MIDI:  haven't tried it yet

I expect this device to get some serious firmware upgrades.  At $99 it's going to make it's way into a lot of people's hands and they're gonna want some extra juice.  Fingers crossed that Akai doesn't just immediately jump to the next upgraded model and forget about this little guy.

Unsubscribe

What about kit loading of larger samples? Is it as slow as owners claim?

Unsubscribe

Also can the kits be loaded by external program change?

Abandoned on Fire

@herr_proff - midi in/out is limited to note on/off only at the moment, I'll test big samples tonight but kits of regular drum hits and oooooyeahs load in 1-3 seconds, internal 808 and 909 kits are tasty by the way, 30 megabyte limit for each kit

Joliette, QC, Canada

Extremely respĂ´nsive !!! YESSS !!! Will totally get one for my live drum pads !!! smile

IL, US

trying to decide if id rather have this or a volcabeats in the  near future..hmm..leaning towards this

UK

Wanted one. Not natively battery powered. Not for me.

Unsubscribe

But if it doesnt sample, what use batteries anyways.

i got a maschine mk2 i love it i want an mpc2000xl just for that old school hip hop feel i wanted the new mpx8 ill have to get one

Joliette, QC, Canada
Tr@$hk1ng wrote:

i got a maschine mk2 i love it i want an mpc2000xl just for that old school hip hop feel i wanted the new mpx8 ill have to get one

Highly suggest you to get a MPC1000 instead...you can upgrade it like crazy and JJOS is just mindblowing (I have 2XL and it's just...WOW !) compactflash card reader, more ram, can add an hdd, oh and jjos fixd that goddamn annoying midi troubles (all the original akai OS I tried, midi was totally SHITTY and my Nanoloop cable didnt want to work at all !)

Boise, ID

This is just what I've been looking for smile

sweden

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Picked one of these up and have had hell getting SD card samples to work with it. I've verified multiple times with multiple programs that my files are the correct format, filename structure, bit depth/rate etc. but no luck. The unit either restarts when an SD sample is loaded or gives a SAMPLE ERROR message. This is with the current firmware update v1.0.01.

This unit has a l lot of promise. It fits a very specific purpose that I think a few of us have been waiting for and the price is right. That being said, I'd steer clear until they can put out a better firmware update. Mine is probably going back.

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Upon further investigation, it looks like any additional data outside the most basic .wav file structure (time stamping etc.) will throw errors with this unit. This site recommends importing and re-saving all samples with Audacity. I haven't tried this yet but will update if/when I do. I'm more than a little put off by this.

Source - http://noterepeat.com/products/akai-pro … -sd-card#A

Abandoned on Fire

quick update: loading a max size kit of 30 mb takes so long i didn't bother to time it, 2 or 3 minutes maybe? that's a worst case scenario, typical kits liad in a matter of seconds

Unsubscribe

Looks like ill be waiting for some firmware updates to roll out.