Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

In my opinion, if it can't support any of the typical metadata associated with a filetype - does it really support said filetype?

If the editor stripped/prepared the samples I'd be less annoyed.

Milwaukee, WI

I'm really trying to figure this out: if this is powered via USB, why not just use a pad controller if you're connecting to a computer for power anyway? Sure you can power via an adapter/power socket, but why not just buy a battery powered sampler at that point?

Joliette, QC, Canada
TSC wrote:

I'm really trying to figure this out: if this is powered via USB, why not just use a pad controller if you're connecting to a computer for power anyway? Sure you can power via an adapter/power socket, but why not just buy a battery powered sampler at that point?

Milwaukee, WI

So no answer?

Abandoned on Fire

The main point for me is not needing to be connected to a computer, "playability", and of course size. And it's cheap. What are some other mpc-style sample players at this size/price point?

Edit: being battery powered isn't important to me, if i were using this live i wouldn't rely on batteries anyway

Last edited by egr (Sep 24, 2013 6:48 pm)

Unsubscribe

it just uses usb power to save having another connection. You can use it with an included usb power adapter on mains standalone, or it can be powered by a computer i assume and used as a pad control.

Milwaukee, WI

My immediate thought was a yamaha su-10/roland sp series/psp sample trigger program/pad controller to iphone or even a arduino or raspi solution if one exists.

Last edited by TSC (Sep 24, 2013 6:52 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Don't get me wrong, I initially had the "oooooh" factor when I saw this thing. Perhaps it's not for me! I'd probably put the $99 toward an iconnectmidi or something. I just wasn't sure if there's a main selling point I'm not understanding here.

Last edited by TSC (Sep 24, 2013 6:59 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
TSC wrote:

My immediate thought was a yamaha su-10/roland sp series/psp sample trigger program/pad controller to iphone or even a arduino or raspi solution if one exists.

I get where you're coming from but the su10 and most of the sp series are more headache than they're worth (mostly because of very limited or inefficient storage).  iphone or some other touchscreen device could do all the same stuff for sure.  I'm sure there's good options on raspi too but probably not piggy.  One thing piggy can't do is be played like an instrument in real time.

So I'm still saying that the standalone and playability of this little guy are worth the hundred bucks.

Abandoned on Fire

Here's how I'm using it at the moment.  Noise like a muthafuka!

Milwaukee, WI

That looks like fun. wink

It also further reinforces my confusion on why this is preferred over say an ES-1, especially with the unsatisfactory load times of the MPX. If performance is a factor, wouldn't on-board effects be worth the extra $50? I never really found the SU-10 to be a PITA, but I suppose that is a matter of taste! Different strokes, etc.

heart heart heart

Last edited by TSC (Sep 25, 2013 12:37 am)

Abandoned on Fire
TSC wrote:

Different strokes, etc.

haha yeah pretty much.  it fits a specific want that i have therefor i think it's awesome.  wink

sweden

Yeah I was kinda also hoping that the MPX8 could replace my SU-10. The SU-10 is much smaller, can run on batteries and can sample. But it only has 314kb memory and I'm always afraid of the battery running dry just before a show. With the MPX8 and electribes you can at least have a backup on a memory card. With the SU-10 it is possible afaik with backing up via sysex, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass (super slow, and not reliable), and you most likely have to bring a computer with you. Atm I'm using a SP-404sx which can read directly from SD card, but it's a bit heavy (micromusicians are pretty spoiled I know)

I'll probably pick up the MPX8 anyway though.