Hello all, it's my first time posting here and I have it in mind to get into modding Gameboys. I was wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom on a complete novice! First, I'll let you in on my aims and expectations when it comes to getting into modding:

To start with I'm going to try tackling a couple of simple backlight mods on some bog standard grey DMG's. I plan to use asm's Density backlights and their accompanying tutorial as a starting point (http://asmretro.com/diy-gear?product_id=86). I'll be picking up all the essentials (tri-wing screwdrivers, soldering iron, rubbing alcohol) next week but could do with a recommendation of the best places to pick up working dmg's (UK based).

Also, I really want to add a backlight toggle switch to my first or second attempt, but I'm unsure how well that would work with the specific backlight I've chosen and I could really do with a tutorial if anyone knows a good one. My reason for neglecting the pro sound mod is because despite my interest in getting into using LSDJ, my initial reason for doing all of this is so that I can nostalgia hard whilst being able to flick on a backlight for ease of use. Also, I figured that concentrating my efforts on a specific task is probably a good way to start.

Any advice or guidance or ominous warnings prior to my first foray into modding is greatly appreciated. Apologies if I've misused any terminology here, unfortunately I'm a complete novice when it comes to electronics in general wink

Dentari.

Taichung, Taiwan

Wire the on-off switch between the density backlight negative contact and the ground where you will be soldering it to.

katsumbhong wrote:

Wire the on-off switch between the density backlight negative contact and the ground where you will be soldering it to.

I may well be interpreting this wrong, but is it simply a case of having the negative part of the density backlight running through the switch which then connects to where the density backlight would usually connect to? If so that sounds pretty straight forward!

Taichung, Taiwan

I'll post a diagram when I get home.

Taichung, Taiwan

Does this make sense?

Yeah man, that's great! It's always nice to have a visual, nothing can be lost in communication that way. I'm ordering some supplies now and I'll be picking up a DMG on Monday. I'll update you on how it goes once I've received all the parts and installed them.

what do you use as ground

Michigan
Tr@$hk1ng wrote:

Any ground point will suffice. I prefer one of the two large sqAURE TABS (oops caps lock) on the right hand side. These tabs connect ground fron the front to back PCB. You can see them here where I described.

Tr@$hk1ng wrote:

I'm following the guide provided by asm. This raises a good question, where is the best placement for the toggle switch itself?

Taichung, Taiwan

Look up photos of modded gameboys and see where other people placed their switches.

Well I've been looking around at switch placement, but I need it to be put in such a place that I won't need to cut away any of the pcb or rearrange any of the internal workings to get it to fit.

If you look at this (embarrassing) quick diagram I made, would this work? Running the wires along the side of the front board and if necessary cutting away a small area of the top right of the board to make room for a toggle?

Sorry about all the questions. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time!

San Diego

If you were going to run the wires up that far you could just pull the ground wire through the hole that the cap is in and run it up the backside of the board. Less likely to run into fitment issues. You could also put the switch on the side of the case. I think justinthursday has some pics of mods he's done on his site like that.

Edit: I just checked his site, doesn't have the pics up anymore. I'm sure you can find other modded gameboys with switches on the side of the case.

Last edited by Vile (Sep 20, 2013 6:58 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

Use ~24-gauge wire.

Taichung, Taiwan

You don't mount switches to the board, you mount switches to the case.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm)

Yeah I know, I'm just checking whether I'll have to cut away a small section of the board (the top right) to be able to make a small toggle switch fit into the case smile For my first one I may forgo putting a switch in just to make it as simple as possible. I'll decide once I've opened up a dmg to see how much room I've got to work with.

Taichung, Taiwan

No. Take apart the gameboy when you get it and study the case and pcb and take note of the clearances.

Wait until you get it apart and if you questions after that, ask away.