Devon UK

Hi there.

I want to start playing around with lsdj, but the trouble is that all the information about buying option etc. seems to assume that I know something about Gameboys, which I don't! I'm simply interested in handheld chiptune composition and happen to have learned through research that Gameboys and lsdj are the generally accepted way to go.

So, if possible, I'd like some guidance, as if explaining to a child about how to get what I need.

I have a GB micro, which I bought with a nanoloop 2.6 cart. That's great, but I want to use Lsdj as well.

Can I use my GB micro for this, or do I need a different device? If I can, how do I get a copy of lsdj? (I know there's posts on this already, but I don't understand them). For example, will a "GB USB smart card 64M" do the job, or does that only work for older Gameboys?

Also, I'd like to be able to record my music and maybe share it on the internet etc., so how do I export the sounds I make to a pc? What kind of link cables do I need etc? At present the only cable I have is from the charger to my GB micro.

Sorry for my ignorance, but like I say, I've got a bit confused in my research and could use some help in understanding my options.

If anyone has the relevant gear for sale for a reasonable price, I'd love to get hold of it and join in the fun...

Kind regards,

Robin

The USB Smart Card 64M cart will only work for older gameboys, the GB Micro is not backwards compatible like the GB Advance. You could get a gameboy advance flash cart and use a GBC emulator for GBA (such as this http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php) to convert the LSDJ .GB ROM into a .GBA. However since this would be emulated on the GB Micro's arm processor, so the sound quality arguably won't be as good as an original gameboy - check out this sound comparison: http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Last edited by metropeak (Sep 22, 2013 6:20 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

Get a DMG fool!

Taichung, Taiwan

Or gba flash cart + goomba emulator + lsdj . But it won't emulate perfectly.

Murcia, Spain

The GB micro is not the best option for LSDJ. Apart from the inferior sound quality in comparison with the other models, you are forced to emulate LSDJ with Goomba, which is, in my experience, a pain.

If you'd like to stay as portable as possible but still use LSDJ, I'd say get a GBA SP and a GB USB SC 64M. The cart will stick out of the console, but I think that's the "smallest", useful way of running LSDJ. Also, if you happen to go further one day and get a DMG or a Pocket, you'll have the 64M cart with you already ; )

As for recording, the cheapest, easiest (but also dirtiest) way is getting a mini-jack to mini-jack cable and plug the line-out of your console to the recording line-in of your computer's sound card, then record in Audacity or whatever program you prefer.

Hope this helps! Welcome to LSDJ! : )

Taichung, Taiwan

http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Scroll down to just before the DS paragraph and read.

Abandoned on Fire
katsumbhong wrote:

Get a DMG fool!

[i didn't realize there were word filters in effect on this site]

Cleveland, OH

The Micro only plays Advance games. If you like the compact size of the Micro then you would need to use software for Advance.
I would recommend a Game Boy Color and the GB USB 64m Smart Card.
You can get a frontlit Game Boy color right here:
http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/pr … -boy-color

To "export" the sound you would actually record it in a similar way to recording an electric guitar. Using an audio cable into whatever interface you have. Most recording software will allow you to just use the mic input on your computer. 
I would also recommend having a prosound modification which will give you much cleaner, louder and bassier sound.

Devon UK

Thanks everyone. Looks like my best option is to ask my daughter to find her old Gameboy colour for me and get a usb cart. BTW, I'm not attached to using my GB Micro, slick as it is. It just happened to be part of a deal when I was looking to buy a Nanoloop Cartridge.