Yokohama, Japan

Can anyone out there tell me about some good C64 native trackers that can work with dual SIDs?
My story:
I use MSSIAH, and Im currently doing a SID2SID mod.
I have also started trying to compose music using the SID Wizard tracker, the problem as far as I know this does not support dual sids.
I'm looking for a relatively easy to use native C64 tracker that supports dual sids?

I know about the big listing on the C64 database etc, I just want to ask people who have actually used these and may have a similar situation to me.

England

Not aware of any - I've just been using goattracker stereo on PC, you can then playback on real C64.

this has a few ideas

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. … 3efc7b9d7b

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 1, 2013 10:46 am)

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=16258

Michigan

The way that SID2SID works is that the data sent to the specific SID registers is simply echoed (sent with minor delay) to the second one. There is no extra address range to add a second SID for 'full independent' control. I believe that a SID2SID is somewhat of a waste in that there are other tools capable of making mono into stereo. In a sense, all softwares work with it.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jazzmarazz wrote:

The way that SID2SID works is that the data sent to the specific SID registers is simply echoed (sent with minor delay) to the second one. There is no extra address range to add a second SID for 'full independent' control. I believe that a SID2SID is somewhat of a waste in that there are other tools capable of making mono into stereo. In a sense, all softwares work with it.

The 8bitventures description doesn't make it sound that way:

A second SID (C64 audio circuit) gives you 6 voice polyphony/6 tracks when using the MSSIAH Sequencer and Drummer applications.
With the MSSIAH Wave-Player you can assign an extra output for your samples to the second SID. MSSIAH Mono Synthesizer and Bassline echoes all audio to the second SID for stereo output.

Are they just full of shit?

EDIT:

Looks like $DE00 is the starting address to use for SID2SID SID 2. Which is different from $D400, which is where the regular SID starts. So you can certainly address both chips seperately.

As proof, here's a video of a guy/gal showing 6 channels of SID using sid2sid: https://vimeo.com/3341109

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 1, 2013 3:52 pm)

Michigan

$DE00 huh? I don't have the full C64 memory map in front of me right now, but that is excellent.

Dallas, Texas

SID2SID does give you independent control of the second sid. I use it with MSSIAH, and cynthcart supports it for stereo. All a tracker would need is a coder that implemented the commonly used second sid registers ($DE00 or $DF00) for the extra channels.

New York City

Of course you have independent access to both SIDs. You can even add a third one.
So maybe Hermit's 3SID Tracker would work with just two.
http://csdb.dk/release/?id=66065

Sandneil posted above a link to JCH "stereo" version which works with a second SID on $D500. The SID2SID address seems a little bit weird though, I am pretty sure the standard for a second SID is at $D500. $SE00 might conflict with other devices, really.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Oct 1, 2013 7:39 pm)

Dallas, Texas

Yeah. I forgot $D500 is very common too. Now that you mention it. I've seen 3SID releases with SIDs at $D500 and $D600. But even that 3SID tracker you linked too has the SIDs at $DE00 and $DF00

Memory Map wrote:

$D420-$D7FF
54304-55295   
SID register images (repeated every $20, 32 bytes).

$DE00-$DEFF
56832-57087   
I/O Area #1, memory mapped registers or machine code routines of optional external devices (256 bytes). Layouta and contents depend on the actual device.

$DF00-$DFFF
57088-57343   
I/O Area #2, memory mapped registers or machine code routines of optional external devices (256 bytes). Layout and contents depend on the actual device.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Oct 1, 2013 8:17 pm)

New York City

Well, that's interesting. Because I remember talks about this on csdb and most everybody agreed that $D500 was the common address for a second SID, but it seems a lot of software uses $DE00.