barf

STARTING ON NOVEMBER 1st, 00:00 GMT! get yer sign ups in before then!

http://battleofthebits.org/academy/Grou … gn-Ups%21/

RULES OF ENTRY

- Tournament will be MODULE only, any of the botb "s3xmodit" categories (.s3m, .xm, .mod, .it) will do. no .mptm, .itp, etc.
- Samples will be user-submitted in advance before the tournament, and a pack will be created from the samples at random for each round. Each user may submit a total of three samples, emailed to [email protected]. Samples must be in .WAV 44.1kHz format, and a maximum of three seconds long per sample. (You're welcome to split a larger one into several if you wish, but each sample will count towards your limit)
- Sign-ups (and sample submission) will last until the 31st of October. That should hopefully give you folks plenty of time to sign up! I'll let you sign-up in the thread for this one.

THE TOURNAMENT

- The tournament will take place over a series of elimination rounds, each a week along. Every Friday at 00:00 GMT, a sample pack will be released publicly.
- All users in the round will have an entry period of five days, from the moment the sample pack is announced on Saturday, 00:00 GMT, to the subsequent Thursday, 00:00 GMT. Resubmitting is allowed during the period, but no tardiness! Uploads will be closed at the end of the entry period, and a vote pack will be distributed.
- A disqualification/lack of entry for the given week will be given a score of 0, and will be treated as an automatic forfeit, regardless of entrants remaining in that round. Make sure you get your entries in on time!
- No outside samples can be used. This includes VSTs and VSTis; "chiplooping" is permitted but down to voter discretion as of whether or not it is in "good taste".
- OpenMPT "hacks" such as as filter cutoffs, resonance, etc. are permitted, but be aware that there's no central player, and entrants should take care to make their songs compatible. Enforcement of this rule will again be judged entirely by voter discretion.

VOTING

- Votes take place on the remaining two days from Thursday to Saturday (00:00 GMT), in a #mod_shrine "most to least favourite" ranking, emailed to [email protected]
- Votes will end on the subsequent Saturday, and votes will be tallied for each entry. The bottom 25% (working, might increase depending on entrants!) of each round will be eliminated for that week, and the survivors will move onto the next round with another sample pack, starting immediately after. The rounds will continue until two contestants remain, whereby the highest score in that round will determine the winner.

---

If you write modules or want to write modules, this thing here is for you! Feel free to join even if you're just starting out! I guarantee it'll be a fun experience :-)

(ask me if you have any questions too, guys!)

Last edited by kfaraday (Oct 31, 2013 6:09 am)

vancouver, canada

i've been wanting to dust off my super-old .IT tracking skills and this might just be the perfect excuse!  very enticing.

so, the total number of weeks this weekly compo will last may vary depending on the number of entrants?  or is there an upper limit on rounds that you have in mind?

barf

i would expect 5-6 weeks to be the upper limit i think, but it'll definitely be subject to the amount of contestants haha

California

Hm, might enter this so I can get better with PC trackers. Are we required to submit samples if we sign up?

barf

nope! encouraged, though :)

NC in the US of America

One week left for sign-ups. Do participants have to sign-up at battleofthebits.org or... how does this work exactly?

barf

i'm gonna announce the tournament's starting on November 1st, 00:00 GMT, so right after sign-ups close. make sure you get yr stuff in!

Last edited by kfaraday (Oct 24, 2013 7:33 pm)

California, United States

CURRENT ROSTER (26) (as of last edited)
bold denotes entrants who have sent samples
italics denotes non-entrants who have sent samples

ant1
Baycun
Beard
brightentayle
commandycan
ellen_page
epic_caterpillar
everamzah (3/3 samples sent)
goluigi (3/3 samples sent)
Grumskiz
Jangler
kfaraday
KungFuFurby (3/3 samples sent)
iamgreaser (1/3 samples sent)
MandraSigma (3/3 samples sent)
mnsn
princess_faerie
raphaelgoulart
SketchMan3
stinkbug
Strobe
Tilde (7/3 samples sent?? well i picked the first three)
toska (3/3 samples sent)
Uuni
Xenesis (3/3 samples sent)
Zillah

barf

last day to sign up! get yr signups in now if you're in~~