So, I just recently picked up an Atari 1040STF and a floppy drive to go with it and I'm looking for some music software to go with it.  I've already been using maxYMiser for a while in emulation and I plan to record those on the real hardware but I'm looking for some other cool software that I can use.  I have a MIDI keyboard controller and an arduinoBoy that I'd like to hook up to the MIDI in/out so I'd like to find some software that utilizes those.  I know ProTracker has an ST port, but is it as good as the Amiga one?

Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

good ol cubase?

Hrm, yeah  I'll give that a try, actually.  I've been searching pouet.net for stuff, but I almost forgot that the ST was made to be an actual music computer and therefor has "real" software.

not sure if it'll run on a 1040STF but musicmon might be a good shout?

musicmon should run just fine on a 1040STF but I dont believe you can send any midi with it, it takes midi in though.

Can't you just use MaxYMiser for that too? And shouldn't this be in the Atari section?

aent wrote:

Can't you just use MaxYMiser for that too? And shouldn't this be in the Atari section?

I'm just looking for alternatives to MaxYMiser, just seeing what all there is.  I don't want to be the guy who only uses one program because he's never tried anything else.

Also, I thought this -was- in the Atari section when I posted, my mistake.  Maybe a mod could move the thread?

Back on topic, I found a great site here (http://atari.music.free.fr/) with lots of Atari software.  Some of you may already know it, but I'm just working my way down the list as the site is a great resource (the sequencer section includes descriptions of everything listed).

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 21, 2010 12:53 am)

Check these out as well:

http://dhs.nu/files_msx.php
http://dhs.nu/files_msx_digi.php
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic … wnet.shtml
http://tamw.atari-users.net/cubase.htm
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/atari/

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic … wnet.shtml

I can affirm this is cool, but maxymizer seems to have the most midi features for your buck.

herr_prof wrote:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic … wnet.shtml

I can affirm this is cool, but maxymizer seems to have the most midi features for your buck.

I totally agree, I tried Sound Chip Synth, but it requires high resolution and is simply not fun to use or has the same capabilities as maxymiser. EC-909 sounded fun, but I had to upgrade my STe to 4MB RAM, because it requires 2MB minimum and I couldn't fit the program on a disk, so I had to make a RAMdisk.

Other trackers might be nice to try out, but most of them lack something.

It's fun to experiment, but in the end MaxYMiser is the winner. At least in my book.

I've found XLR8 to be quite nice, too.  However, MaxYMiser is still the clear winner.  I might try to write at least one song on XLR8 to understand it's idiosyncracies - both pros and cons - just to be fair to it.  Really though, I don't feel like MaxYMiser is really lacking anything that I'm looking for.  I'm especially fond of the CPU usage tester that it comes with and the z function, as I plan on using at least some of the music I write with it in demos.

Certainly gwEm is god.

jefftheworld wrote:

I've found XLR8 to be quite nice, too.  However, MaxYMiser is still the clear winner.  I might try to write at least one song on XLR8 to understand it's idiosyncracies - both pros and cons - just to be fair to it.  Really though, I don't feel like MaxYMiser is really lacking anything that I'm looking for.  I'm especially fond of the CPU usage tester that it comes with and the z function, as I plan on using at least some of the music I write with it in demos.

Certainly gwEm is god.

XLR8 is awesome...but the out MusicMON 2.5e !!! A true beast !!! big_smile

jefftheworld wrote:

I know ProTracker has an ST port, but is it as good as the Amiga one?

I would advise this article:
http://www.atarimusic.net/atari-music-n … c0c65ad4ba

for classic ST owners.

Also, I dont know how useful this would be but there are some fucking excellent ST patch editors for the DX/TX/FB yahama and CZ casio synths.

But making sample-based composing on the ST is kind of pointless. Other machines do it better.

akira^8GB wrote:

But making sample-based composing on the ST is kind of pointless. Other machines do it better.

Akira, You know I love You like a brother smile but I cannot agree at all. smile
Actually I prepare a new music-project making digital music on YM chip (4 channels) called YM-DIGITAL (haha) and the album is near to be finished, heh. Will be published in 2 months or so. wink
I think people underestimate the YM's possibilities and I think it's a mistake. smile You will see. wink
OR - hear. Hahahaha. smile