Wow, I never would have guessed that a simple post would get this far...
The famiidi seems cool, a new midines would be nice but sadly I can't help much.
I've made some cartmod of nes and snes so I know a little bit about that, I could look out for a 5b sunsoft chip and maybe someone could emulate this?
I can give some time to help for an indiegogo campaign and put some money in it...
But still I am pretty much a noob in all that (music, programming).

About the chip maestro, did I understood yogi weel : no room for improvment on the chip maestro because of "gates"?

Jazz, if you need some cartridges, photograph of sunsoft chips or even a gremlins 2 cartridge, i can send it to you.

Dallas, Texas

Ok I took a large amount of pictures of both my midines carts. One was a MidiNES 1 RevB. and the other is a MidiNES 2.  All the pics can be downloaded here: https://app.box.com/s/fjxbkyff21l5k9w7e7u2

I tried to be as thorough as possible. I figured more than enough pictures was better then not enough.

Geneva, NY

As the #1 beta tester for Batsly's hardware and software, I'd consider myself a nice candidate for "serious tester."

Brooklyn, NY

I just ordered some PCBs to support FaMI, I can't do much in the way of hobby stuff nowadays due to time constraints. Most of FaMI / any other projects I work on are written on vacation days.

Reading from the controller port is flawed due to the behavior in the DPCM hardware, which meant no samples. I wrote a few workarounds but it was at the expense of some features (latency, visual feedback etc). Although the ROM ended up being pretty full featured with control of the 4 basic channels I felt as though it was incomplete if you weren't able to use DPCM. I have a working PCB now that I'll be happy to release once I'm done testing.

Bleo has been invaluable, and I love him dearly.

EDIT: If the Chip Maestro has proven itself to be unsatisfactory then I'll plan to do a short run of these carts based on demand.

Last edited by Batsly Adams (Oct 29, 2013 5:07 pm)

I'm interested good sir, do go on smile

all the channels+visuals... good indeed

Milwaukee, WI

Man, I'd kill for a DJ worthy NSF player.

Matthew Joseph Payne
Batsly Adams wrote:

I just ordered some PCBs to support FaMI, I can't do much in the way of hobby stuff nowadays due to time constraints. Most of FaMI / any other projects I work on are written on vacation days.

omg it's just good to know you're alive (and that this is still a thing) heart

Michigan
TylerBarnes wrote:

I have one major and a couple minor questions to you Jazz. Will you have to desolder or deconstruct the Midines in order to properly rip the rom and make this clone happen?

I want to preface this next statement with the request that no one get there hopes up just yet based on my next statements. but I have two Midines carts and would possibly, I repeat, possibly contribute one if I could get my cart back in the same working condition that it was originally.

My supplementary questions are:
How long would be your best guess on the time it would take? I understand you won't definitively know till you have your hands on it.
And also if I lend my cart could I get a free clone? :3

› Show Spoiler

You guys try to keep in mind that I want to help, but I'm really attached to my midines carts and have invested some serious money in them especially considering the first time I tried to buy one was from the jerk face wayfar himself. So I'm naturally going to be very iffy about giving one away for a while, even if it's for science. So for now I just want the details on how healthy the donor cart will be after all the surgery is over.

I suspect that I may have to remove components, but can do so with the very best of proficiency. I have now viewed some of your pictures and there are a lot less components than I had first thought. I am positive that I can replace any components that I have to remove and you should receive the cartridge(s) in the same state that you had sent them.

nitro2k01 wrote:

I can try to answer these questions to some degree.

ROM image: Easy, using a NES copier or desoldering the chip and putting it in a ROM reader.

CPLD and possible microcontroller: Between difficult and impossible to do non-destructively, if the read protect bits are set.

Then there's the question of whether a full board scan is desired. That means taking off all of the components, while otherwise you might get away with only removing the ROM chip, as the other chips likely have a programming header available that can be used. Again, assuming the read protect bits aren't set.

Tyler, could you open it up and take a photo and/or note which chips are being used?

What I note from his photos (in no particular order):
MIDINES 1:

1x Nintendo 6113B1 CIC
1x CY7C199-15VC 32k x 8 SRAM
1x 74HTC00D
1x PIC18F4410
1x 29f040
1x 6N139, 8-pin optocoupler
1x 74ACT139

And various headers, passive components, jumpers and non-populated footprints.

MIDINES 2:

1x Nintendo 6113B1
1x CY7C199-20VC
1x PIC18F4410
1x TI HC00
1x TI HC139
1x 29F040
1x H11L2, 6-pin optocoupler

And various headers, passive components, jumpers and non-populated footprints.

I do NOT see a PLD anywhere, luckily. The cartridges seem to be the same functionally, but have been changed for aesthetics between revisions.

Looking at some of the silkscreening and empty footprints, it would seem that he intended on adding MIDI output and FRAM. Unfortunately he still chose to keep that flimsy MIDI-IN connection... That will change.

TylerBarnes wrote:

Ok I took a large amount of pictures of both my midines carts. One was a MidiNES 1 RevB. and the other is a MidiNES 2.  All the pics can be downloaded here: https://app.box.com/s/fjxbkyff21l5k9w7e7u2

I tried to be as thorough as possible. I figured more than enough pictures was better then not enough.

Thank you. Downloading NOW!

Holy crap, these are good photos! Again, nothing would be harmed in deconstruction. Worse case scenario is that I cannot read the PIC, in which I can still design a PCB and allow for someone else to read it in the future. I will also see what I can do about compensation seeing as the parts list is quite affordable. Everything is available from Mouser aside from the ciclone, which is still commercially available. Im getting pretty excited already! I will be PM'ing you now...

Yay... Could I help in anyway?
Could I buy a real midines clone+added functionality?
How much time will it take?

Michigan
Ness wrote:

Yay... Could I help in anyway?
Could I buy a real midines clone+added functionality?
How much time will it take?

Creating the board on the PC will not take more than a day or two (depending on my real-job schedule). Dumping the software will take only minutes for the ROM but 'if' the PIC is locked, I will have to enlist another party to assist with it. Depending on the PIC, this shouldn't take more than a month I think. If there is large interest once I figure out cost, I may even be able to expedite the process.

As for "extra-functionality" I don't really know what I can add. I could locate a faster optocoupler and socket the ROM chip for switching in custom samples, but I am not really a software guy.

---

I really appreciate the interest you guys are sharing, but lets keep the other ideas mentioned above in mind. we came up with some really great concepts and none of them should be overlooked.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Oct 29, 2013 6:34 pm)

Brooklyn, NY

I hope your plan isn't to just rip the code from the PIC. Why not spend the effort making something that is your own intellectual property?

I'm well aware that there are problems with wayfar, but still.

Milwaukee, WI

I love how hypocritical some of you shitlords are. And publicly talk about it too?

8bc is alive and well.

detroit
TSC wrote:

shitlords.

8bc is alive and well.

Did someone thought about doing this for the snes?

Michigan

I do not see how I am a hypocrite; I am a pirate, extending a hand to the community.

Sweeeeeeden

Batsly and TSC: Jose violated copyrights for profit AND ripped people off. The goal here is to get revenge for someone who ripped people off, and violating copyrights in order to do that. And presumably spreading the reverse engineered version as public knowledge and, and selling any copies for the production price.

Now, I do have my doubts about this project, and in both of these cases (Both x|k and actually Jose) I'm seeing people who were probably desperate to try to make money to make ends meet, rather than get rich quick. But the situations are not equivalent. They just aren't.