Douglas, Wyoming

Anyone out there struggle with lack of motivation? Music and life wise?

Holland

Not really no. The occasional 'writers-block', but I don't mind it that much. No repercussions if I don't produce anything, it's still a thing I / we (xyce) do for fun.

Holland

- Accidental double message.

Last edited by xylo (Oct 29, 2013 7:56 am)

Detroit, Michigan

I have been sick for the past 2 weeks and all I want to do lately is play video games. It really sucks because I want to write music but when I sit down with it I'm just like not happy with what comes out. Hopefully its just a phase

Manchester, UK

I can relate to this all too well my friend. I'm just generally a lazy git in life, but with music I constantly need to remind myself of what inspires me and why I want to do it. The problem is I'm at this awkward phase where it's still really difficult to make music, because of technical issues like making some instrument sound the way I want it to, or getting the various instruments to mesh well together etc etc, but the stuff I end up making is showing signs of sounding pretty good. So it's frustrating to have so much difficulty getting it to sound as good as I think it can.

I'm fairly confident that as I get better and things become easier, I'll be able to focus more on the fun stuff like composition, and less on the irritating technical things. But while I'm at this awkward transition stage, it's tough to keep that in mind. Anyone else in that annoying limbo between n00bism and competency?

Unsubscribe

The energy that you used starting this thread is an act of creation you should've saved for yourself. The great artists work on their stuff even when they have zero motivation. Give yourself some drills or tasks to work on so you can be productive even when you have no desire do do anything..

Manchester, UK
herr_prof wrote:

The energy that you used starting this thread is an act of creation you should've saved for yourself.

That seems a bit black and white to me. The energy he used starting this thread might turn out to be a blessing. It's motivating in itself to know that other people have the same issues you do.

rochester, ny

Mondays are my music day. From 8-10 in the evening, I work on music. Even if I don't feel like it, I still do.

Typically what happens is after 30-60 minutes of not being in to it or doubting myself, something catches and the ideas start flowing.

I've been doing this for 3 months and now it is much easier to sit down and flesh out ideas. This practice can be applied to anything creative, really.

The most difficult part is that initial hump. Push through it.

+1 ^

Detroit, Michigan
bclikesyou wrote:

Mondays are my music day. From 8-10 in the evening, I work on music. Even if I don't feel like it, I still do.

Typically what happens is after 30-60 minutes of not being in to it or doubting myself, something catches and the ideas start flowing.

I've been doing this for 3 months and now it is much easier to sit down and flesh out ideas. This practice can be applied to anything creative, really.

The most difficult part is that initial hump. Push through it.

That is a really good idea, I am going to start doing that.

Douglas, Wyoming
herr_prof wrote:

The energy that you used starting this thread is an act of creation you should've saved for yourself. The great artists work on their stuff even when they have zero motivation. Give yourself some drills or tasks to work on so you can be productive even when you have no desire do do anything..

Whenever I work on something without motivation it feels like work and comes out sounding boring or just like shit. The last time I was inspired and had motivation was my EP. And it goes beyond music, in school, work, home life. Lately I just don't feel like doing anything, even playing video games. I just lay there

San Diego, CA

in creative endeavors, motivation is like the most overrated thing there is

if you want to make something, if you REALLY, TRULY want to make something, you'll make it even if you feel like shit doing it. some people even create IN SPITE OF themselves, meaning that their creative act is a PURGING of something awful that they have to get out of their minds/hearts. consequently, they make pretty fucked up stuff

those are the things you'll remember -- not the songs you made when you were "so inspired/so motivated." that's what you see on TV said by people who HAVE to say that stuff, otherwise they'll get cut by their record company or something

people do all sorts of things without motivation -- even music, believe it or not

if a mere lack of motivation is enough to stop you from making music, maybe (the royal) you weren't meant to make music.

this is required reading: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/12/ … for_2.html

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Oct 29, 2013 4:42 pm)

Finland
spacetownsavior wrote:

in creative endeavors, motivation is like the most overrated thing there is

if you want to make something, if you REALLY, TRULY want to make something, you'll make it even if you feel like shit doing it

those are the things you'll remember -- not the songs you made when you were "so inspired/so motivated." that's what you see on TV said by people who HAVE to say that stuff, otherwise they'll get cut by their record company or something

people do all sorts of things without motivation -- even music, believe it or not

if a mere lack of motivation is enough to stop you from making music, maybe (the royal) you weren't meant to make music.

this is required reading: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/12/ … for_2.html

Yes! YES! This! I call it a "heart-compass"... Sound lame but it's true. Your heart knows what it wants to do, you can't deny it and feel good about it.

TX

I definitely struggle with this. I find that it helps a great deal to be in community with other people and to have somebody holding you accountable for doing something (not necessarily creative stuff). But that's often difficult in this modern world of ours.

In anything worth doing, there's going to be a time when it feels like work and you wonder why you bother. This applies to friendships, hobbies, whatever. It's the nature of things that it's easy to keep going when you've got momentum and hard to get anywhere once you've lost it.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

1. Try to do what makes you happy in all aspects of your life.

2. If you still want to make music, do it.

3. Work Hard on your stuff. Be patient with yourself. Have lots of fun doing it. It may suck at some starting point, but you'll get better eventually.

4. Repeat 3 until you're satisfied with the result. (it can take years, be prepared. Of course it may vary on how serious you are about your music.)

people who say motivation is overrated are ~always~ motivated people

i just wanna die