Devon UK

Sorry to ask again, but I'm still stuck and feeling frustrated because I really want to backup my Nanoloop Compositions and don't know enough about the hardware to know how to do it.

I have a DS Lite and a Gameboy Micro, and recently sold my GBA 'cos I thought I didn't need it.

I also have an "old syle" Nanoloop Cart (2.6), which looks different to the pictures on the Nanoloop site (no exposed circuitry).

From what I can gather, the DS Lite can't do the job (or it's illegal!?), and I need to buy another GBA along with a link cable and nanoloop lead as well. This is quite a hassle for someone who just wants to do a little light chiptune composition for relaxation, but keep my work safe in case I lose the cart or it malfunctions (or even gets full).

I'm willing to do it, but I'd like to know that it will work before making all 3 orders. From what I've read it should work, my only concern being, does the Nanoloop lead work with the "traditional" style Nanoloop Cart that I have?

I'm wondering, has anyone here successfully managed to do what I'm trying to do, and can you advise on the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Robin.

Sweeeeeeden

You shouldn't have sold that other GBA! If you had had a Nanoloop MIDI adapter and a link cable, you could easily back up to a PC that way.

GB Micro has a link cable socket, but it's a completely different connector, so good luck finding the right cable. (You need one where one end is the new style and the other end is the classical type of GBA plug.)

DS (and DS Lite) completely lacks a link port and can't be used for backing up.

Nanoloop 2.0 might be able to send (back up) data through audio as well.

Devon UK

So using audio is a possibility? Has anyone actually done this with Nanoloop 2.6?

I can't believe how hard this is turning out to be. Maybe I'll just have to risk buying a GBA and link cable and Nanoloop cable. What a faff!

There was a feature in pre 2.3 where one could record a data stream and (besides using it for saving backups) render it to 16 bit wav files; but that's not a function in 2.3 and up. Just get a dirt(y) cheap gba, link cable and the adapter from nanoloop; it probably won't cost too much in the end and you can play around with some midi stuff with the adapter. smile

Last edited by _-_- (Nov 4, 2013 8:27 pm)

Devon UK

OK, I now have a Nanoloop adapter (many thanks Simon!) and I need to make a decision: buy a GBA with link cable, or try to find a suitable cable to use with my GB micro.

I'd rather just get the one cable, but what exactly is it I need? I'm guessing something like "male micro" at one end with "female GBA" at the other. Does such a thing exist, and am I likely to find it on ebay? Or is it going to be easier to go with the GBA and GBA link cable option (apparently the official cable is no good....)

Any further help appreciated and thank you for your patience.

R

You'd need at least 3 cables to make that work, if there even is a female GBA/GBC/GBP connector to dmg converter.
And the micro to gba converter seems to be super rare.

Really, just get a cheap GBA and a universal link cable.