I have a song in famitracker that I am working on. It is set to Speed - 7, Tempo - 150. The BPM on the bottom of the screen says 128.57. What I want to do is export to .wav and bring it into Reaper. Then I will program drums and record some guitar and bass over it. I can't for the life of me seem to get the BPM in Reaper to line up with the BPM in famitracker.

Has anyone here done this and have any good ways to match this up? Is there something I am missing here?

check above tempo, is "speed" set to 6?
also go to file > configuration > sound and see if sample rate is at 44100

maybe those will affect it?

Unsubscribe

Maybe try slice the nsf render into bars and snap them to grid? That way any tempo drift isnt culmative.

Brighton/Southampton

At speed 7 for famitracker, 128.57 is a rounded number for the bpm, which is actually 900/7bpm (128.5714285714286...). I guess this could account for a slight displacement. You mentioned that the tempo is set to 150bpm, which should be perfectly fine (changing the tempo in famitracker to non-150 can cause unevenness in tempo)

Last edited by Fearofdark (Nov 8, 2013 9:15 pm)

barf

if you want to use nsf stuff in daws you might be better off exporting as wav and speeding it up there; there's a fairly limited number of bpms you can achieve in famitracker without it making the music uneven, which might interfere (or improve!) yr integrating it with daw stuff

Thanks for the suggestions. I am exporting a .wav out of famitracker and importing it into reaper. If I adjust the BPM in Reaper I can sometimes get it pretty close but it doesn't stay that way for long. So I should adjust the speed in famitracker to get it to an even BPM that isn't rounded out so far? Then I could speed it back in Reaper once I import it?

Last edited by spacerobot (Nov 8, 2013 9:32 pm)

Arizona

You could always timestretch the sample to whatever tempo you want. I've been using Acid Pro for that for like 13 years.

NC in the US of America

Acid Xpress/Express (free) should be able to do that too.
if your DAW supports syncing to a midi file with BPM changes you could use the Frets on Fire chart editor EOF to beat sync the EOF project to your Famitracker exported wav and then import the resulting .mid file into your DAW...

Arizona

But honestly, in this circumstance, timestretching will be your best solution I think. Acid Pro is a dated example but you can do the same thing in Ableton if you're more familiar with that program. In this day in age its more common. Youtube "Ableton Timestretch" and you'll find many useful tutorials on how to do exactly what you're aiming to accomplish.

Youngstown, OH

Time stretching is easy in Reaper, too

Unsubscribe
herr_prof wrote:

Maybe try slice the nsf render into bars and snap them to grid? That way any tempo drift isnt culmative.

I dont like timestretching audio cause there is always some artifacts. Try the grid thing, its also pretty useful for human drummers who cant play to a click. You can even use the rendered nes audio to make a tempo map, and then your effects and midi will be as loosey goosey as the nes track!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/a … h-0311.htm

Arizona
sleepytimejesse wrote:

Time stretching is easy in Reaper, too

I never got that far with the program. I tried but I really didn't liked it that much. I'm sure it's great but I preferred non VSTI DAWs like Reason after using FL for a few years. Now I kind of dislike DAWs for writing songs in general and just use them to record/effect tracks I write on hardware...So I'm probably a really bad source of advice on the subject,

Arizona
herr_prof wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I dont like timestretching audio cause there is always some artifacts. Try the grid thing, its also pretty useful for human drummers who cant play to a click. You can even use the rendered nes audio to make a tempo map, and then your effects and midi will be as loosey goosey as the nes track!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/a … h-0311.htm

Gotta love that cntrl+K.

Brunswick, GA USA

The few times I've done it I triggered at phrases. You can drift the tempo back and forth for "feel" where it sounds sloshy.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I ended up getting everything lined up. I did have to settle the BPM at a better number so I took the speed up to 8 with the tempo at 150. This calculated the BPM at 112.5 instead of the 128.576235467895blah blah blah. I brought the .wav into reaper but things were still a little off. I zoomed in on the wav and noticed that there was just a little bit of blank space before the first note played. So I zoomed in more and cut that out. Once I snapped the wav to the grid after that and turned on the metronome it was synced up perfectly. Now I can adjust my BPM in reaper back up to 128 and speed it back up!

It's a little bit of a weird process but it works.

Last edited by spacerobot (Nov 9, 2013 2:36 pm)

NC in the US of America

Yeah... the padding of silence added at the beginning and end of a track is pretty annoying for these purposes :\