Los Angeles, CA

Reposted from Facebook, if ya have any info please help me. Mods if this isn't in the right place please move it, but I know there are people here who've been around a long time...

Okay, bit of a moral dilemma and I'd like some opinions from chipmusic peoples.

In 2009 I did a cover of a .mod file I found by a demoscene artist named Jellydog, called "Someday". I've played this song at a lot of shows and it's one of my favorites. I'd like to include it on "Wizwars No Densetsu", which will hopefully be on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, of course Bandcamp, etc...but the thing is, I can't find much info on this Jellydog guy anywhere. Looking him up on Google, well, a good number of the search results just link back to my goddamn cover of Someday. I did find out his name and that he was Swedish, I wrote to someone on Facebook with the same name and saw that they read my message but never responded. Am I an asshole if I just include the song and give credit? I'm not worried about copyright issues because I doubt anyone bothered to copyright a small looping .mod file, but it's more of a moral issue, I don't want to be one of those people like Crystal Fucking Castles...

------------------------------

I read the info from all of his modules and it seems that all of the tracks released under that name are from '98/'99. No email address, though I doubt it would still be accurate anyway. Real name is supposedly Stellan Andersson, from Sweden, also went by the handles of Kokosboll, Jelly, J.Tql, and was part of the groups Bypass & Tequila (TQL). This is all the info I've been able to find. Can anyone help me?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

See if you can contact anyone else from the groups he was in, they're the most likely to have accurate contact info.

I wouldn't sell it unless you can get his permission. Maybe he couldn't care less, but it's still good to check.

Ostraya mate!

Try posting on pouet.net. There's a good chance somebody on there will be able to help find him / her.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Stellan Anderson == Dane / Booze Designs. He's also active on this site. I've pointed him here, let's see what happens smile

Sweden

I'm not worried about copyright issues because I doubt anyone bothered to copyright a small looping .mod file

Copyright isn't a verb, and you don't have to do anything for copyright to cover your original work.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
boomlinde wrote:

I'm not worried about copyright issues because I doubt anyone bothered to copyright a small looping .mod file

Copyright isn't a verb, and you don't have to do anything for copyright to cover your original work.

About half the dictionaries I've seen have had an entry for "copyright" as a verb (Merriam-Webster), elsewise they generally use the verb "copyrighted" (Oxford). Don't be a pedantic wadface.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Nov 14, 2013 9:31 am)

Brighton

Wrong grammar aside, you missed the important part of his post :

boomlinde wrote:

you don't have to do anything for copyright to cover your original work.

Any work is automatically protected.

Sweden
jefftheworld wrote:

Don't be a pedantic wadface.

Hey, you missed my actual point. I wasn't being a pedantic wadface just to be a pedantic wadface, unlike you.

EDIT: To clarify, while my claim that copyright isn't a verb is arguable on the basis of a few dictionaries recognizing it as such, you can't "copyright" anything. There's no sense in using it as a verb at all. You are still wrong in ever using it as a verb, conceptually if not on a grammatically.

Last edited by boomlinde (Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm)

matt's mind

MAKE SURE TO UPDATE THIS THREAD IF HE'S FOUND!

want to make sure I turn off the search for him and don't bug people too much...  *very* close to contact

Unsubscribe

Its just a video game, jerk.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
boomlinde wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Don't be a pedantic wadface.

Hey, you missed my actual point. I wasn't being a pedantic wadface just to be a pedantic wadface, unlike you.

EDIT: To clarify, while my claim that copyright isn't a verb is arguable on the basis of a few dictionaries recognizing it as such, you can't "copyright" anything. There's no sense in using it as a verb at all. You are still wrong in ever using it as a verb, conceptually if not on a grammatically.

In many countries a copyright - which, you're right, is an inherent property of a work - must be registered with a legal body in order to be defensible under the law. A piece a music that you write is your copyright and does not need to be "copyrighted", simply by creating the work you own the copyright to it. However, in many countries without registering that copyright you cannot defend it in court and it is therefor pretty useless.

This is obviously what people mean when they use copyright as a verb, they mean to register a copyright.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm)

matt's mind

(if mr. wizwars sees this post first...)

check your facebook messages!  just sent you something re: this

Brunswick, GA USA

By attributing the song you've already done better than CC... wink

Sweden
jefftheworld wrote:

In many countries a copyright - which, you're right, is an inherent property of a work - must be registered with a legal body in order to be defensible under the law. A piece a music that you write is your copyright and does not need to be "copyrighted", simply by creating the work you own the copyright to it. However, in many countries without registering that copyright you cannot defend it in court and it is therefor pretty useless.

This is obviously what people mean when they use copyright as a verb, they mean to register a copyright.

Yes, I'm sure people who talk about "copyrighting" are referring to the practice of registering copyright that is required to make it defensible under law in some countries that didn't agree to the Berne convention.

HINT: They aren't.

if he says no are you gonna go back in time and play a different song at all those live gigs