Buenos Aires - Argentina

i fall the other day on street, and when i get home i found out that the dmg on my backpack had the screen broken.
is there a way to replace it without changing all the front part.
if not. its if possible to take out the backlight from it and place it in a new one?

thanks

hi : ) are you able to upload some pics?

Buenos Aires - Argentina

yes.

the screen is shattered
but the backlight is still functional

Minneapolis

Um, it looks like you took that photo with a potato. It's kinda hard to see anything at all.

i am not sure with the screen shattered like that there is any hope for restoring it......in my opinion. yea just take the backlight out and buy a new front piece : ) should be cheap.

matt's mind

your screen is totally ruined, and currently there are no drop-in replacements available for this sort of fix,

so, your alternative is to get a new console and use the screen from there.

reusing the backlight is OK, as long as there is no damage to the backlight.  Any damage will be more apparent because its illuminated.  scratches, dust, bends, etc....  these things all show up severely because of the illumination.

i would find it hard to imagine the backlight survived without being damaged

Short answer: no.

Long answer: if you are a soldering guru, you could take out the LCD of another front panel, peel of the back, solder it to the current pcb (which is nearly impossible, but it can be done if really handy.) and install the backlight.

Easier is to just remove it in a new pcb, since you need one anyway.

So, I'd skip the trouble of switching lcd's if you can just put the backlight in another front panel.

Buenos Aires - Argentina

@arfink, yeah im at work at the moment so i grabbed a picture from facebook where it was the dmg and cut that part, totally looks like shit but was all i had right now

@defPremium, yeah i got a new front part i guess i will switch them and put the backlight from the broken one

@kitsch thanks for the advice

@Timbob yeah i heard that it was really difficult to change just the screen, dont think that my soldering skills are nearly that good,

thank you guys, i will just change the front part, and try to reuse that backlight or get a new one smile

nice!

Milwaukee, WI
kitsch wrote:

CURRENTLY there are no drop-in replacements available

wink wink wink

Godzilladelph

ebay is your friend
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dm … p;_sacat=0

hopefully shipping isn't too bad to wherever you live? i'm guessing you're not from the states

Buenos Aires - Argentina
SKGB wrote:

ebay is your friend
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dm … p;_sacat=0

hopefully shipping isn't too bad to wherever you live? i'm guessing you're not from the states

yeah im not from the states. hopefully i been buying some dmg, on the "local ebay" so i have plenty of parts to repair it,

my main question was if i could just replace the screen so i dont have to solder other stuff, but well it seems is too difficult so i will just change the whole part

thanks a lot

kitsch wrote:

currently there are no drop-in replacements available

(reads between the lines) so how soon?  are they still in an early stage of development?

matt's mind

you guys...

edit -- and/or gurls

Milwaukee, WI

NOT GURL JEEZ

matt's mind

i'm dumb

Last edited by kitsch (Nov 19, 2013 4:28 am)