sweden

Hi!

I stumbled upon this seller on etsy selling hard drives and flash memory mounted inside old games and game consoles. http://www.etsy.com/shop/8BitMemory

What do you think about it?

/ nordloef

UK, Leicester

I really don't like it, it's massively lazy, and it also modifies the casing of the console/game which pisses me off, because it's going to stay like that forever. Imo, it just seems massively wasteful, and you could (with a bit more effort tho) make things that look like games consoles, but are memory sticks/ harddrives. See those gameboy smartphone cases, you could make a memory stick that looked like a gameboy or whatever.

i would agree^
although at the same time we must realize that this is an etsy merchant and so what they're doing is likely small scale and homemade, which would explain why for instance they aren't just mass producing their own dmg-esque molds, etc.
people can do what they want to i guess!

Minneapolis

Should have used a 3d printer for more hipster... uhhh I mean Maker cred.

Arizona
Alpine wrote:

it just seems massively wasteful

Agreed.

Taichung, Taiwan

Cannibalizing otherwise good working hardware to make them into HDD cases... when they're already HDD cases out there, a waste in my opinion. Pricing is a little ridiculous as well.

Melbourne, Australia

...another etsy shop - is this kitsch? or just someone selling kitsch's stuff?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HighClassRetro

Litebritedeath Land

With Kitsch being based out of North Carolina and the etsy seller New York I would have to go with someone reselling kitsch products.

Litebritedeath Land

"New designs coming weekly, its a slow process of designing, producing, photographing and listing each new design.

More parts to follow as well, battery covers, faceplates and buttons.

We accept trade-ins for cash or trade. We also do repair and sell parts. Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions. "

Insane mark up of Kitsch goods and the only thing they are doing is putting custom art on the screen covers..... -___-

Last edited by sxe_weekend (Nov 26, 2013 1:53 am)

matt's mind

thats not me

I have seen both of these in the past, and I feel both are pretty lazy attempts at making a buck off of people.  I think the first is sorta dumb, myself, but I can't say exactly why, as I have considered doing such things in the past.  The one selling kitsch-bent stuff...I dunno, they aren't exactly just reselling, but...  both put a little effort into their stuff.  plus I have seen worse on etsy.

One way to look at it, though, is the person selling kitsch kases is giving new skin to the game boys that were stripped to house HDDs.

Michigan
uXe wrote:

...another etsy shop - is this kitsch? or just someone selling kitsch's stuff?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HighClassRetro

Kitsch doesn't need an etsy .:lol:

matt's mind

^ i've considered an etsy, but since i can't legit claim they are 'handmade' (like the seller is, currently) i know that etsy would simply close the shop

thats pretty weird to see...

since you guys understand how bad it is to do with music, understand that for a 'hardware guy' seeing someone claim your work as their handmade product is a bit perturbing

not sure if thats a real word.

matt's mind

matching colors of plastic together, does not handmade make

imo

Litebritedeath Land
kitsch wrote:

matching colors of plastic together, does not handmade make

imo

But them custom printed screens Kitsch!  They 1-up'd you with "borrowed" game art.  tongue  The only positive thing I saw was that they have made 1 sale.  Hopefully they just end up sitting on 20 of your cases and buttons they are currently attempting to sell.

thats really lame lol. also arent those branches things ripped from 8bc?