Canada

I'm looking to create a flash cart of sorts using a OTP chip. However, what I'm looking for, if possible, is a chip that is the same footprint as a factory Nintendo chip.

Does anything like this exist? I'd ideally like to have the original Nintendo board as original as possible, without all the additional wiring.

If this isn't the correct place to post this question, or even the right forum at all, please let me know.

Thanks!

Abandoned on Fire

Do you already know about Kitsch's prom carts? They won't fit in a standard cart case but maybe still what you're after.

LINK: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/ga … -cartridge

Last edited by egr (Dec 6, 2013 10:41 pm)

Canada

Thanks, but I'm trying to replace the existing rom chip, with a new one (that I programmed) in the exact same footprint as the original rom.

Taichung, Taiwan

*edit*

AFAIK

If there was a drop in solution, not re-wiring anything, it would be really nice.

You will either have to custom print a cartridge pcb where the traces are re-routed for your flashed chip or you will need to spaghetti your flash chip in with wires.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Dec 6, 2013 11:32 pm)

matt's mind
level42 wrote:

Thanks, but I'm trying to replace the existing rom chip, with a new one (that I programmed) in the exact same footprint as the original rom.

why not just remove the original rom chip, and then solder the new one in?  if the footprint/pinout are the same, this would be the most straightforward way to do this

Canada
kitsch wrote:
level42 wrote:

why not just remove the original rom chip, and then solder the new one in?  if the footprint/pinout are the same, this would be the most straightforward way to do this

This is exactly what I am trying to do, but I don't know what chips would work as a drop in chip.

Taichung, Taiwan
level42 wrote:
kitsch wrote:

This is exactly what I am trying to do, but I don't know what chips would work as a drop in chip.

You can drop in a flash chip if you custom printed your own circuit board to accept it.

There is no programmable chip (that I am aware of) that is a drop in replacement pin for pin with the standard IC

Canada
12ianma wrote:

There is no programmable chip (that I am aware of) that is a drop in replacement pin for pin with the standard IC

What would be the closest chip you guys know of to make for the lease amount of rewiring?

Taichung, Taiwan
level42 wrote:
12ianma wrote:

What would be the closest chip you guys know of to make for the lease amount of rewiring?

Are you serious?

You have to pretty much re-wire all but maybe 4 or 5 pins depending on which cart pcb you use.

It seems like you want to DIY this yourself, but you don't want to put any work into it.

Grab yourself by the balls and be about that life or buy a flash cart.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Dec 7, 2013 2:00 am)

Yeah basically most you can have is like ~half match and that's a 4mbit chip

Michigan
12ianma wrote:

Yeah basically most you can have is like ~half match and that's a 4mbit chip

If youre talking about the 49F040, then you are correct. unfortunately, that half of the pins have to be bent by hand.

if you're not confident enough to solder on a rom chip, use some z-axis tape or something.
Not sure how long it'll stay on the board though, never used it.

I really want to get some of that tape.  Seems so useful, even if only for temporary stuff.

Michigan

Push Kitsch to hurry up and use it so he can comment, he said he got some.

Canada
katsumbhong wrote:
level42 wrote:

Are you serious?

You have to pretty much re-wire all but maybe 4 or 5 pins depending on which cart pcb you use.

It seems like you want to DIY this yourself, but you don't want to put any work into it.

Grab yourself by the balls and be about that life or buy a flash cart.

I already have several flash carts, which I use to test my project.

If I wanted just a flash cart, I'd follow one of the many guides online to build one. What I'm looking for is something specific, which is why it was brought up in the first place.

I have a project, for my own interested, and it requires the cartridge to look as factory original as possible. If necessary, I can redesign the PCB, however is isn't ideal. This isn't a cry for my laziness. My project has been on going for over 3 years now, and incorporates way more then just a programmable GameBoy cartridge. This is merely 1 aspect of it. That is why I have come to this community for some suggestions and tips.