Poland

How you make your chiptunes?
You starting from melody or bass or you make chord progression first?

Memphis, TN

I personally make the chord progression first if I don't already have an idea when I sit down to make the music. It allows me to know what 'boundaries' I have to fit within as far as what notes my melody should hit.

It's like a really lazy way of deciding my scale on the fly.

Arad, Romania

I set the tempo (usually in the 80-100 BPM range). I then create a drum track and pick a key for the bassline. The bass sets the chord progression basically and then I work on the first melody and it expands from there. This is how I do it most of the time, but other times I start with the melody or the bass.

Edit: It depends a lot on how I start a project. Most of them start with me just messing around, but sometimes I already have a concept in mind before I open my DAW.

Last edited by qb (Dec 11, 2013 3:43 pm)

Lun-dun

Almost always chords first, as Ateno says. It's not lazy, it's just a good way of making sure your music is "right"!

Poland

Thanks for answer

England

i find that improvising with friends on 'real' instruments is a great way to get ideas for starting more rigid/structured pieces of programmed chip music.

edit: real instruments are also synths & drum machines :)

Last edited by Jellica (Dec 11, 2013 5:16 pm)

UK, Leicester
Jellica wrote:

improvising

NC in the US of America

It depends. Either could come first. Also what Jellica said about "real" instruments (including voice)

Planet Zaxxon

I make up things (usually in the shower), by freestyling melodies and rhythms. Record it. Then recreate it and make it into a song. Some of my best songs were written in this fashion.

I either come up with a melody on guitar, or the beat.

I find that creating the beat layout first, kinda lets you know where the song might go. And what to fit in it. Everyone's different, however. smile

vancouver, canada

i tend to focus on groove and rhythm in one/two patterns first, and then fan out.  but i've found that makes my songs somewhat lacking in chord progression (for better or worse). 

lately i've experimented with laying out a "stream of consciousness" of chord movements - like, bust out the chords linearly in an almost freestyle manner, and not worrying about the overall texture until later. 

either way, before all that happens i start by imagining the emotional effect i want to achieve, and then just sit there for a couple of minutes and imagine ways to make it happen.  if i'm lucky, my mind can formulate the various elements to achieve the desired effect - not entire melodies mind you, but pieces of hooks and chunks of rhythmic features.  the harder part is to string it all together into something more cohesive.

Montana

First I'll play guitar and come up with a cool progression and think "This will sound cool on my Boy!" than I get disappointed because it doesn't, than I just use some simple punk progressions, throw in a 4/4 dance kick and set the tempo at 175 or something and freak out because I'm feeling the music, and stuff happens.

Last edited by aaroneow (Dec 11, 2013 6:53 pm)

Dallas, Texas

Before anything, I choose a time signature, then arbitrary tempo. I then make the drums first. Mainly focusing on my kick's phrasing. Then, I plug in some bass tightly following the kick (at least if I'm going for that tight feel) Then it's up to my mood if I then go for chords, leads next. If I choose leads first then next I decide if I want dualing leads or chords behind it. Hats and crashes are usually modified last, that is, if I haven't made the hats an integral part of the rhythm already. Usually the 'icing on the cake' is portamento, vibrato, and pitch bends.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm)

Boise, ID

tempo is usually one of the last things i choose after writing a song.

when I write, I work on all the parts of the instrumentation at the same time. I just work in the order of intro, then the main sections, then the outro.

Unsubscribe

I made a how-to video: