St. Louis Missouri

Hey guys, Being a fairly new chiptune artist im running into some trouble making melodies that work well together, then having the melodies progress and change throughout the song without getting really boring. Another question I have is what chords sound good together in melodies, how to get them to make a funky beat, and what I can do to modify the melody but not change it so much as it ruins the song. Thanks for your help! Also If someone could explain chords to me in a tracker sense, I know chords on the guitar but what are chords in a tracker?

KC

Here's what I know.
1. you should start doing your own light reading on music theory, at least the basics. It does really help and will probably answer all of what you just asked.

2. melodies are mostly made of the notes of chords, and vice versa.
    this means, start teaching yourself basic chords on a piano/guitar.

3. melodies usually stay the same throughout a song, with slight variations for variety/breaks/tension/release.

4. also, most good melodies are the ones that we can hum or whistle, which is why they stick in our head.

5. practice is the only way to figure this stuff out and really see it for yourself.

6. don't make trackers your only musical outlet, as knowing how to play at least one instrument can go a long way.

KC

Here's what I know.
1. you should start doing your own light reading on music theory, at least the basics. It does really help and will probably answer all of what you just asked.

2. melodies are mostly made of the notes of chords, and vice versa.
    this means, start teaching yourself basic chords on a piano/guitar.

3. melodies usually stay the same throughout a song, with slight variations for variety/breaks/tension/release.

4. also, most good melodies are the ones that we can hum or whistle, which is why they stick in our head.

5. practice is the only way to figure this stuff out and really see it for yourself.

6. don't make trackers your only musical outlet, as knowing how to play at least one instrument can go a long way.

.FILTHadelphia

Know what scale you're writing in and use all the notes of the scale to come up with melodies. If you're hitting a block writing melodies try instrument changes. Add some groove on your melody to make it funky.

Depending on the chord count the semitones from your root note and put each note in a different channel at that same place so they all trigger at the same time. Traditionally chip music uses arpeggios to play chords due to lack of space in each channel but modern trackers will allow you to program chords without having to worry about space. Renoise will allow you to put chords in a single channel.

As far as what sounds good just start messing around with different chord progressions. What sounds good to you will more than likely sound good to everyone.

St. Louis Missouri

can you write some scales for me? or send me a link to see the scales? I appreciate the fast responses!

KC

uuuh dude you can find that info all over the internet.

or go to a music store and pick up some scale books.

St. Louis Missouri

not near one at the moment, do you know of any good websites?

NC in the US of America

Learn the names of the notes in the chords you know on guitar (for example, C major is made up of C, E, and G) and then transfer that to your sequencer of choice. Usually you'll have to put each note in an individual channel as most chipmusic trackers only allow one simultaneous note per channel.

With limited channel tracker formats like LSDJ, 2A03 NES, C64 SID, Amiga Mod, Speccy AY, and AHX, rapid arpeggios are used. They are even used for style in less limited formats like XM, Renoise, IT, etc etc.

The way rapid arpeggios typically work is that you enter a note in the note column, then use the arp command in the effects column (0xy/Vxy/etc. depends on the format). with x and y being half-step intervals up from the note that you entered in the note column. Then when the note is played it will rapidly cycle through the notes in the arp command you entered.

Grymmtymm wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... this sounds like a recipe for boring yikes
wink Oh wait I thought you said "usually the melody will stay the same throughout a song" but you said "melodies" which means there is more than one in the song *phew* yes good. :3

Actually though that is a good place to start. Take a rhythmic melody and a chord, then when you change the chord, keep the same rhythm of the melody, but change the notes to match the new chord.

not near one at the moment, do you know of any good websites?

http://www.google.com/search?q=music%2Bscales tongue

since you play guitar already, http://justinguitar.com is a REALLY good resource for learning everything you need to know on guitar, and he puts an emphasis on ear training and music theory too and it's free!

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 12, 2013 6:51 pm)

KC

http://www.musictheory.net/

St. Louis Missouri

Awesome thanks so much guys be watching for some demos from me real soon!

KC
SketchMan3 wrote:

Learn the names of the notes in the chords you know on guitar (for example, C major is made up of C, E, and G) and then transfer that to your sequencer of choice. Usually you'll have to put each note in an individual channel as most chipmusic trackers only allow one simultaneous note per channel.

Grymmtymm wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... this sounds like a recipe for boring yikes
wink Oh wait I thought you said "usually the melody will stay the same throughout a song" but you said "melodies" which means there is more than one in the song *phew* yes good. :3

Actually though that is a good place to start. Take a rhythmic melody and a chord, then when you change the chord, keep the same rhythm of the melody, but change the notes to match the new chord.

dude, this isn't a master class and I was just giving him a few basic tips to get started with, not write an entire album.  by the tone of his question he obviously knows very little and is just starting out.

coming up with  just a few melodies at a time is gonna be enough to start with unless he's mozarts offspring, which I assume he's not.

music can be very confusing for some people, so small steps and gradually adding to it can be helpful as you learn.

St. Louis Missouri

Looked at the scales and lets use the G Major scale for example. It contains the notes: G – A – B – C – D – E – F#
so in LSDJ or MILKY TRACKER I would use these 7 notes in different orders to write my piano riff? just trying to get a clear understanding.

St. Louis Missouri

And im no Mozart haha not even close I appreciate both of your inputs though

.FILTHadelphia
ashtonmehrle wrote:

Looked at the scales and lets use the G Major scale for example. It contains the notes: G – A – B – C – D – E – F#
so in LSDJ or MILKY TRACKER I would use these 7 notes in different orders to write my piano riff? just trying to get a clear understanding.

You got it.

St. Louis Missouri

Awesome thanks defiant lol

South Korea

Read this:
http://umlautllama.com/Audio/theory/theory.html
All (?) the scales at the bottom of the page is in C, but to change the key of the scale, just increase/decrease all the notes with the same amount of semitones.