Ive heard that the Gameboy color is meant to be better for LSDJ as it is less prone to slowdown and glitches when compared to the DMG. Is this true? Also I heard somewhere that the gameboy color has other sound features but I guess this wouldnt be included in LSDJ as it is DMG and Color compatible. I have been using a Gameboy Color for about a month with LSDJ and havent found any issues. Been 99.9% stable

What are other peoples thoughts on using the Gameboy color compared to the DMG other than sound quality?

Arizona

I have a slew of Gameboy Colors and a couple of them are prosounded and frontlit.  I like the screens and often times I need the extra CPU power when using LSDJ.

Plus they take two AA's which is useful since I only have four rechargeable batteries and one charger.

Last edited by Limitbreak (Dec 12, 2013 8:04 pm)

bed

The color's screen is easier on the eyes in my opinion. I find myself straining a lot when staring at a dmg.
The fact the the color is light and small means that I usually carry one with me in my pocket - something that is less than practical with a dmg.

Although my backlit, prosound brick has the edge in badassery any day wink

Seattle, WA

The bricks have better sound. Colors sound a little weak.

Finland

Without mods the sound is unbearable. At least on my unit, don't know how consistent the hiss is across units, depending on wear and tear. But the hiss is near goddamn deafening when working on it with headphones and the sound is in comparison very faint.

Still considering whether I should prosound mine or not...

Cincinnati, OH

I've never enjoyed the sound of the CGB.
DMG all the way!

Arizona
DMGer wrote:

I've never enjoyed the sound of the CGB.
DMG all the way!

Truth, but I've never been really bothered by the CGB. The one that really drives me batty is my GBA SP for some reason.

Taichung, Taiwan

Gbc for mad complicated tables, heavy sampling, 1/1 timing, etc.

Pretty much anything that would crash the DMG CPU or make the song slow down.

dat cgb bass mod tho

I'd say grab whichever you get your hands on the easiest to start, you can get picky once you can tell the difference yourself. If you're just starting you don't really need to worry about the DMG's clocking, unless you're absolutely maxing your tracks out or running at >200BPM you should be okay.
Write first, worry about equipment once it comes to light. I wrote my first album on CGB and nobody seemed to mind (so long as you mix it right).

Last edited by Zef (Dec 13, 2013 2:43 am)