Melbourne, Australia

So, I've been inspired by Ultrasyd and Henry Homesweet and just love the sounds they squeeze out of the ST, and I have downloaded STEEM and Maxymiser and had a crack at making chiptunes using the ST so I'm not a total beginner with the software, however...
I'm interested in getting an actual ST and using it, but I have no idea what to do, as I have never owned a computer older than a windows 98... hmm
So, if people could please give me some advice (before I buy one) on:
a) Good places to buy them (I'm guessing ebay? but there might be others)
b) What to look for?
c) Additional hardware/software I may require?
d) General things to know about operating an ST?
e) anything else?

Thanks! big_smile

Holland

Ebay is a good place to find an ST. Look for an STe preferably but an STf works as well.

You can use your own TV with scart if you look for a cable like this: http://www.retrogamingcables.com/atari- … d-rca.html that is a lot cheaper than an actual Atari ST screen.

Musicmon is a good way to start as well if you're not that in to Maxymiser, but Maxy will do just fine!

Melbourne, Australia

Musicmon looks awesome! Why did I not find this before? Maybe use both?! wink Thanks!
I also heard that ST's had MIDI capabilities? If so, then is there any software that I could use to control MIDI synths using the ST? Because that would be awesome. big_smile

Edit: How do you put programs onto it? Copy on to floppy disk and then put the floppy disk in ST or?

Last edited by Panda Chan (Dec 16, 2013 12:06 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada
Panda Chan wrote:

Musicmon looks awesome! Why did I not find this before? Maybe use both?! wink Thanks!
I also heard that ST's had MIDI capabilities? If so, then is there any software that I could use to control MIDI synths using the ST? Because that would be awesome. big_smile

Edit: How do you put programs onto it? Copy on to floppy disk and then put the floppy disk in ST or?

The ST have MIDI I/O, and you are lucky you can control synths on MaxYMiser since the last version (which was out something like 2-3 months ago !)
And for the disks it's a little bit tricky but easy to do...
you need to tape the one of the hole on the floppy (not the with the write protection but the other) use a computer with Win XP or lower and format the disk in 720k ! (You got the choice in the floppy format screen !)

Melbourne, Australia

Ah awesome! XD
That sounds a little tricky, but not too bad! Thanks! smile

Edinburgh

Re: disk formatting, I believe if you format disks using an STe then it can automatically be read by both ST and PC. Simpler way of doing it (unless I'm mistaken).

Unsubscribe

there is also a way to format disks via the command line in windows:

format a: /t:80 /n:9,

Melbourne, Australia

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! big_smile

Taichung, Taiwan

I have an Atari 520 STFm for sale, but I'm in the US.

Joliette, QC, Canada
katsumbhong wrote:

I don't think Musicmon will run if it's still with 520k ram !

London

make sure you get a mouse!

maxYMiser will support 520 machines, but the most fun option is a 1040STe because you get an extra soundchip for sample playback, proper audio outs, upgradeable memory and it formats PC disks

xyno: the MIDI output supporting version of maxYMiser was actually out 7 months ago or something wink

Joliette, QC, Canada
gwEm wrote:

make sure you get a mouse!

maxYMiser will support 520 machines, but the most fun option is a 1040STe because you get an extra soundchip for sample playback, proper audio outs, upgradeable memory and it formats PC disks

xyno: the MIDI output supporting version of maxYMiser was actually out 7 months ago or something wink

Ohh damn I'm totally late then !!! hahaha Still a great tracker man, thumbs up !!! (Finally kicked my ass to learn that instrument editor !!! XD)

Melbourne, Australia
katsumbhong wrote:

Yeah, I think the US is a little too far away... tongue and I think a 1040 STe might be preferable. But thanks anyway! big_smile

And I'll make sure to get a mouse, thanks gwEm. tongue