Hello everyone.
im quite new in music and stuff and would like to start making 8-Bit music.
i thought 8-bit Music should be music that is made out of Basics:
3 instruments,
only sinus, squar, saw, puls -waves (no modulation)
monophonic -> use appeggiators
no LFO, no detune

but as more as i read about it, it seams like 8-bit tryes to make music that sounds like a old gameboy, or an old Comodore.

MY QUESTION IS:
if i make music with modern software(like Ableton) and modern synthesizers(like the Korg Volca series),
but with the distrition, mentioned earlyer, would it also be 8-bit music?

Madriz, Supain

No.

California

But it could still be considered chiptune.

Unsubscribe

You can do whatever youd like.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Fake-bit music.

Chicago

do you, man. do what feels right to you
at the end of the day, who cares? the only people that will are the people that know how its made. to everyone else, its just bleepbloops

Yeah, use whatever hardware/software you want. Modern chipmusic is really all about the aesthetic and to be honest the more people that embrace that the more varied it'll become.   Seeing as 90% of the people writing it these days only release streamable files it doesn't really matter if it's playing back in real-time or not.

Sweeeeeeden

My philosophy: If you want to be "real" use a hardware platform, with the limitations that this imposes and try to break those limitations by creative song programming. Or, if you want to approach it as a "style", use modern tools and impose artificial limits on yourself.

thanks, for all your answers. smile
really nice to see that this forums is friendly,
i was a little worryed after the first answer wink

UK, Leicester

it's all music and that's what matters

Finland

Worry about the details and specifics later. Make music now.

Arizona
nitro2k01 wrote:

My philosophy: If you want to be "real" use a hardware platform, with the limitations that this imposes and try to break those limitations by creative song programming. Or, if you want to approach it as a "style", use modern tools and impose artificial limits on yourself.

Earth

Just absorb the music and come up with your own take on it.

Edzgou wrote:

I must admit I'm looking forward to hearing what music made with Sinus waves will sound like. Keep me posted.

Alabama
Zef wrote:
Edzgou wrote:

I must admit I'm looking forward to hearing what music made with Sinus waves will sound like. Keep me posted.

They'll be coming atchoo real soon.

Sweden

If you ask this question and people give you straight answers without having heard your music, don't listen to them! The nature of "8-bit music", from the general use of the term, really boils down to things you wouldn't have expected if you were thinking there would be a clear-cut technical definition of it.

I'd agree with what some are saying here in that you shouldn't worry too much about whether your music fits a particular genre or style, as long as you like what you're doing, but then again people work in different ways and if it's important to you you should really just listen to a lot of 8-bit music and read up on the different ways people produce it. Many people here (myself included) disregard a bunch of anomalies in favor of short, clear and idealistic definitions that you'll find they will disagree with each other about.