New Albany Indiana

END OF 2013 RETROSPECTIVE

END OF 2013 RETROSPECTIVE

The year came and went faster than it seemed didn't it?

I know for me it's been the first full year cycle for me as an Musician.
Maybe the same for you.

At any rate, I am not here to give you my life story or go into some nostalgic montage.

This is an End of the year retrospective.

Basically what you are going to do here is look at the 2013 year retrospectively. If you don't know what retrospective is go google it, I ain't yo wordinary.

So I encourage you to look back in your year and share the major moments, feats, tracks/releases turning points, and monumental discoveries in your chip music journey with us.

Then, if there are any goals, set some goals to reach for in the 2014 year.

Then in a year from now, you can look back at this thread and see how far you have come.

My retrospective:

I haven't really accomplished anything note worthy this year that you guys would know of off the bat. I have refined my lsdj knowledge and have created my own style when it comes to composing.

That's about it smile  might add more links later.

Abandoned on Fire

This was a very cool year for me.

1. First live performance
2. Released my first hell actual album ( http://datathrash.bandcamp.com/album/hymnal )
3. Designed a piece of tech and got it made/sold with help from Kitsch ( http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/pissbox )
4. Helped with live shows in Nashville and a Datathrash show at BRKfest
5. Met and interacted with lots of incredible artists and helped a lot of them get their music noticed
6. Went to Disney World with my extended family heart

Probably other stuff.

zobe

Greetings, hope you all had amazing years! everyone at aana HQ was pleased to have been voted CMO's most influential weblabel, and spent the entire rest of the year mourning the continuing decline of the rhino. It's hard to do much when you're thinking about outliving the rhino.

Brunswick, GA USA

This year started with ZanZan's "don't release everything" and "your foot is on its coffin" rants, which I respect in the sense that taking moments off to refine are okay.

Of the things I did this year, the sound I want to carry into 2014 will mainly sound like http://soundcloud.com/chunter/you-said-and-smiled

The project I'm most proud of for the year is http://soundcloud.com/chunter/feel-sunshine though my song wasn't the best one on it and it isn't a chipmusic compilation.

I have two, possibly three projects (with releases) planned for 2014, and a possible, er... personal life event. We'll see.

Alabama

1. Changed my major at university from Management Information Systems to Music Composition smile
2. Ditched my old artist name/project "The Bitman", going with my real name since it's more professional and not boring
3. I have a lot of upcoming projects with friends, both musical and hardware (thrash, teensy's, Gameboy Colors and 2xLSDJ jawns)
4. Went to BRKfest to support Shanebro heart and I am hoping to play BRK and MAGfest this year, if the stars align.

Lun-dun

I made an album (completely un-chip related but pretty heavy!) at http://simonthegood.bandcamp.com but once that was done I got to focus on some electro-y stuff I'd been working on which lead me to digging out my old DMG. Looking forward to getting some electro stuff out in 2014 after my first (Chipmas) release this year.

<EDIT>

I WROTE 3 SONGS IN 12 MONTHS, SUPER PRODUCTIVE 2013.

2014 IS THE YEAR OF THE SUPER SAW.

<EDIT x2>

THE GIN HAS RUN OUT, SEND MORE GIN.

Last edited by 4mat (Dec 31, 2013 8:13 pm)

NC in the US of America

zan-zan-zawa-veia's rant "Dare not to make and release music in 2013" was pretty influential on my year in chipmusic also. I did not follow his advice, but it gave me pause and made me think.

Well... I certainly did make and post a lot of music in 2013 through compoing at battleofthebits.org but the "full length project" that I was planning on releasing this past summer is still sitting on my harddrive collecting dust as I collect sound design techniques.

Made a lot of new friends and stuff through botb and cm.o and uc and nc and stuff... good times.

Edit: all in all I believe it has been a year of growth and loosening up.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 31, 2013 8:09 pm)

Youngstown, OH
MaxDolensky wrote:

1. Changed my major at university from Management Information Systems to Music Composition smile

SWITCH BACK

Study music and audit theory/comp courses if you can because it's fulfilling if that's what you're really passionate about, but trust me when I say that, as a music composition major at an all-Steinway conservatory-style school, and someone trying to compose for games and other media for a living, it scares the crap out of me to not have anything else more reliable to fall on. I wasted 2013 scoring and sound designing for 8 games that never released, and hardly ever actually paid me. I wish so hard I would have gotten into an IT program instead or something so that I could take hits like this without needing to eat ramen noodles for a month. Either that or plan on going to grad school and becoming a professor, or change to music education to work as a teacher in schools. You'll learn most of the same stuff, but these are also something to live on so that you can compose and still survive during dry spells.

Don't mean to be so harsh but this is you from the future talking, I wish my academic advisor would have expressed the need for further education for a reliable(?) and practical use of this degree.

But other than all of that, 2013 was pretty cool. I got featured by Destructoid and Kotaku like 4 times for various albums/videos, played guitar in a jazz trio once, been getting performances of my music in local concert halls and getting commissions from local performers, looking like 2014 might well be spent writing more for the real world and being more selective of what games I join.

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (Dec 31, 2013 8:38 pm)

detroit

i saw mario at a rave.

Brunswick, GA USA
4mat wrote:

chunter wrote:
4mat wrote:

THIS IS SADLY TRUE.

wrote more music than last year
less of it was good

idk i didnt have any goals for music because its not a sport & i guess iw as more focused on staying alive and being mentally and physically well and it seems like i achieved one of those three things so uh thats great

im gnna do more eminem remixes in 2k14

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:23 pm)

Playboy Man-Baby

Made new chiptune friends in meatspace, strengthened the core of 8BitNortheast, lead a class on chipmusic, released a few albums, wrote a lot of new shit, started getting into writing/listening to chipthrash, chiptune busked a lot, played a few shows, wrote an academic dissertation on chipmusic, finally made a name for my chip-punk band at school.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 31, 2013 10:20 pm)

Chicago IL

Haven't killed myself yet!

Last edited by Saskrotch (Dec 31, 2013 10:26 pm)