CA

Hello there,

I want to paint GBC into the Zelda theme as in 3DS XL (see the picture).

I suggest for the top part of the shell Krylon gold paint will go to, but I wonder how do I do the triforce color (the one on the gold part)? It's just a little bit darker than the background I'd say it's grayish gold. Is it possible to apply a thin coat of gray on top of gold? Will it preserve the gold color and make it darker or just cover it completely?

I don't want to waste a GBC shell for the experiment and I'm a complete noob in painting. Thanks!

Minneapolis

I don't know for certain, but I believe that the graphics on the 3DS are being done probably with pad printing, so they have much more control over the colors. Spray paint is seldom transparent, so you will probably not get the same results. I would suggest looking into model paints which you can mix to get the correct tone, and then doing a wash over a stencil (using a brush or sponge or airbrush) to get this effect.

Gold spray painted game boys are rare.

arfink's advice is good.  Alternately you could buy a can of a different gold and do the stencil (or use tape).  Failing that you could just paint a grey triforce or have arfink engrave a triforce for you.