Ireland

Sup! I made this GH/RB guitar full MIDI mod, link to the github page enclosed,
I made this guide as simple as I could, but I'm assuming you have a basic grasp of, well, arduino stuff really. And soldering, and how to find the ground and power on a chip.

I'll add more info to this post as I go, so consider this thread a WIP. (Program's stable and working though, the download's on my github page)

The aim of my project was to make a standalone MIDI controller with the musical capabilities of a full instrument, but still play like the video game.
Basically THIS, but with sound.

It's an arduino mod that intercepts the button presses directly, without dealing with the controller's chip and its platform-specific protocols.
As a result, this setup is universal for all the GH and RB guitar models. Secondary frets from the RB guitar is on my todo list.
Also, if you already have the controller, the basic setup just requires an arduino, and nothing else! (Obviously, you can add a midi port, but this can work though usb too)
In theory, all modded instruments should be able to stay backwards compatible with the game.

You'll be happy to know that the default octave range I've preset keeps within the DMG's limits!

Scaling up on the frets is represented here. Check the tabs below to see the setup more clearly with octaves and notes written in.
This table is just here to look pretty :)
#  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #
#  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #  |  #

You should be able to see a pattern in this. It's designed so you shouldn't need to do too much work around the base octave.
I recommend hanging around the 3 finger combinations. easy drops to bass, and wiggling your middle finger gives a nice hammer-on combo.
The progression of notes is pretty logical. I have an in-depth guide below. It's lengthy, but it's the most comprehensive description I can give on the system. The theory actually gives you shortcuts to some cool scale-jumping if you check out the bookcase system!

› Basic operation

› A fret table you can read without getting a headache

› In-depth guide on note progression

› Universal-ish guide to wiring it up

› TODO

The Github page: https://github.com/MagicalGentleman/arduino-hero

Last edited by Superquinn (Mar 3, 2015 1:44 am)