Arad, Romania
Bit wish wrote:

he left out what I was talking about. 50 cent or who ever produced the song "ayo Technology" sampled from Crystal Castles.

Doubtful. There is actually no controversy as far as I can tell. Both songs have a similar sounding arpeggio, but if you listen carefully, the one on "Courtship Dating" sounds sampled. The one on "Ayo Technology" sounds more like a "natural" SID sound (Timbaland has a SIDstation, Crystal Castles don't or didn't at the time they made their song). Plus CC are known for their heavy use of samples.

IL, US
Saskrotch wrote:

also robots vomit oil / brian green / etc and all kinds of sabrepulse stuff. This was back before I even got on 8bc though, so I dunno how fresh it is in everyone's memories

seriously, how many artist names did that guy have?

Chicago IL
e.s.c. wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

also robots vomit oil / brian green / etc and all kinds of sabrepulse stuff. This was back before I even got on 8bc though, so I dunno how fresh it is in everyone's memories

seriously, how many artist names did that guy have?

it was pretty much a new one every time he got caught

Nomad's Land

Talking of dubstep... add Datsik to the list. The "game over" sample in his track by the same name was taken from my freesound account without giving credit. Not that I really care though.

ohio gozaimasu

I sampled a song before put me on the list

Earth
Cooshinator wrote:

I sampled a song before put me on the list

We've all done that. You can be upfront about it, or you can obfuscate it, and pretend like it's yours. What Timbaland did was totally brazen, whole track theft. But it would have been fine if he had tipped his hat to GRG, and the other dude. In my mind anyway.

Unsubscribe

I've never done that. Dialogue clips sure but I've never been interested in sampling a popular song.

Earth
herr_prof wrote:

I've never done that. Dialogue clips sure but I've never been interested in sampling a popular song.

Yeah, I mean basically anything that's copyrighted. Sampling songs is trickier.

Okay, for example breakbeats. That's a song that you don't own at all. But it's like a nod to another artist... You're not pretending that you made it. I don't know, I guess even that is a little sketchy, because those drummers who made those breaks do deserve money.

Last edited by breakphase (Jan 22, 2014 3:28 am)

Unsubscribe

Fo sho.

Dublin, Ireland

If I recall correctly, the Rusko remix of Bionic Commando was credited as that, a remix. And was commissioned as a promotional thing for the re-release or one of the sequels to the game. Or possibly just presented that way... not entirely sure who'd have rights to it.

So, possibly not entirely criminal?

Side note: why do people whine about dubstep so much on here? (which Rusko basically stopped making around 2007.)

irrlichtproject wrote:

Talking of dubstep... add Datsik to the list.

Alsonotdubstep, sigh.

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Jan 22, 2014 6:17 am)

NC in the US of America

Don't forget Disney! They stole an Anamanghicuhihcihioghicuiihgiuchi song.

iNFOTOXIN wrote:

why do people whine about dubstep so much on here?

I thought this was kinda funny. cuz:

iNFOTOXIN wrote:

Alsonotdubstep, sigh.

Hello Mr. Pot. tongue

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:22 pm)

Seattle, WA US
iNFOTOXIN wrote:

If I recall correctly, the Rusko remix of Bionic Commando was credited as that, a remix. And was commissioned as a promotional thing for the re-release or one of the sequels to the game. Or possibly just presented that way... not entirely sure who'd have rights to it.

So, possibly not entirely criminal?

Side note: why do people whine about dubstep so much on here? (which Rusko basically stopped making around 2007.)

irrlichtproject wrote:

Talking of dubstep... add Datsik to the list.

Alsonotdubstep, sigh.

ruh roh we've got a serious dubstep hipster on our hands here guys

Seattle, WA US

very stoked to hear that bionic commando tune was a commissioned remix though.. it is very very good

heh, I remember Brian Green. We used to be in the same circles of South Carolinas electronic stuff, which pretty much scattered-for me- after a music space here closed down. last I heard he was doing ambient Ableton processed stuff. I think he jacked some art from Talk To Animals circa 1800-zombie or something.  There was a guy on 8bc under the name Jim Kelly Dolemite who used to do choppy-sample based stuff from GB, Snes Games, etc that was pretty cool.

Marseille