So it seems most vendors sell button sets in various colors for the DMG, but what if I find an extremely particular color scheme for the case and want the buttons to follow suit?  Is there a tried and true method for painting the buttons that can resist the constant in-and-out movements of gameplay and what not?  I'm a ways away from experimenting with this, but I thought I would address it while it's fresh in my head.

Alive and well in fucksville

Spray paint comes off. maybe that stuff thats especially for plastic would last a bit longer.

New York

You could always cast a set of buttons.

America

I don't believe there's a way to do this.  The truth is, it's just going to wear out eventually.  And from my (limited) experience too much paint can make it a tight fit between the buttons and faceplate, making the paint scrape off faster or even making it harder to push in the buttons.

You could sand the sides down a bit, paint and seal them, use them until they wear out, open the case back up, remove the buttons, sand them again, and repaint...but it's a lot of work and quality will degrade every time.

And don't forget: there's also the issue of the silicon buttons, which you definitely can't paint at all.

Philadelphia

I've had some success spray painting the backside of clear buttons. It gives a decent effect too- Just an alternative.

einstyle wrote:

I don't believe there's a way to do this.  The truth is, it's just going to wear out eventually.  And from my (limited) experience too much paint can make it a tight fit between the buttons and faceplate, making the paint scrape off faster or even making it harder to push in the buttons.

Yeah, I asked newbanZo who does custom paint jobs (and used to actively mod DMGs) if he had ever tried and that was more or less his response as well.  My hope was that someone had found a solution.  I mean there are certainly a lot of colors to choose from, but I'm just thinking ahead to the possibility of my needing very specific colors.

BoFoSho wrote:

You could always cast a set of buttons.

I'd considered this, but I've also been told that this could be costly.  I do plan on making my "services" available when I am confident in my abilities, but until then, these projects will mostly be for myself.

CloseToGood wrote:

I've had some success spray painting the backside of clear buttons. It gives a decent effect too- Just an alternative.

Whoa!  That's an awesome idea.  How did you arrive at such an epiphany?

New York

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/ … nd-how-to/
All the materials for casting can be bought at Michaels or likely any other crafting store.
It might take a little work to get it right but not too expensive. Hope this can help.

Last edited by BoFoSho (Jan 27, 2014 9:47 pm)

BoFoSho wrote:

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/ … nd-how-to/
All the materials for casting can be bought at Michaels or likely any other crafting store.
It might take a little work to get it right but not too expensive. Hope this can help.

Holy crap!  That's brilliant!
The resourcefulness of this forum never ceases to astound me smile

Spain

Painting the inside out of a clear case gives an interesting effect. Wiggy from RCG (from the link BoFoSho posted) paints aftermarket Glacier GBA shells in various translucent colours and it looks amazing. Too bad he's currently busy with repros, his console mods are fun!

And btw, you can also do this to GBC shells like I did some time ago:

SpookGoblin wrote:
CloseToGood wrote:

You can also mix this up and get some interesting results.  Check out these bubbles by Timbob:

That is a damn sexy GameBoy...
I can't tell--are the buttons illuminated?  Or is the paint just so vibrant that they appear to be glowing?  Either way, that's delicious.

You might be able to see them better if look at the full size picture.  I believe it is just green and yellow paint with bubbles in it.  That added touch has me wanting to try the same thing for maximum bubbles in a set.  Timbob does some really cool stuff.

rygD wrote:
SpookGoblin wrote:

You can also mix this up and get some interesting results.  Check out these bubbles by Timbob:

Haha, I just wanted to post that one big_smile

rygD wrote:

You might be able to see them better if look at the full size picture.  I believe it is just green and yellow paint with bubbles in it.  That added touch has me wanting to try the same thing for maximum bubbles in a set.  Timbob does some really cool stuff.

Indeed, it's just painted. The bubbles appear because I used low pressure paint which I sprayed close, and a lot wink
There might be a bit of glow in the dark paint in that one as well, can't remember. That stuff gives mad bubbles wink

But there are no lights. Just a gradient of bright colours.

Last edited by Timbob (Jan 28, 2014 11:51 am)

America

Lights aren't a bad idea, though.  If you're going for a specific color scheme and are planning on using a backlight you can find LEDs that match the backlight--whether it's colored or simply white.  Then just use clear buttons.

Last edited by einstyle (Jan 28, 2014 2:49 pm)

einstyle wrote:

Lights aren't a bad idea, though.  If you're going for a specific color scheme and are planning on using a backlight you can find LEDs that match the backlight--whether it's colored or simply white.  Then just use clear buttons.

Given my extremely (and I must stress 'extremely') limited knowledge of electronics, what all would that entail?  I know it's probably a question that warrants a bigger answer than a single sentence, so don't feel compelled to indulge my utter noobery.