hey so theres pixitracker and nanoloop but are there any more

IMO it seems like the tracker interface is pretty much perfect for touch screen so i thought maybe trackers are having a bit of a comeback on touchscreen objects

but i dont own one so what else is there

and also do you think its true that trackers are making a comeback in the App Stores and also do you think its true that tracker interface is good for touch?

South Korea

Both Sunvox and MilkyTracker have been ported to Android, but not having a keyboard makes it kind of awkward (for me at least).
If they could make a LSDJ/LGPT (simple UI, few "buttons") styled tracker for phones and tablets, that would be awesome.

Edit: for typo

Last edited by DeerPresident (Jan 30, 2014 11:07 am)

DeerPresident wrote:

Both Sunvox and MilkyTracker have been ported to Android, but not having a keyboard makes it kind of awkward (for me at least).
If they could make a LSDJ/LGPT (simple UI, few "buttons") styled tracker for phones and tablets, that would be awesome.

Edit: for typo

ya i think the probelm is thath sunvox and milkytracker werent designed with a touch screen in mind

have you tried pixi tracker, its got a simple ui and few buttons... but its kind of simple in terms of what it can do as well sadly

South Korea

Yeah, I think sunvox and milky depend too heavily on mouse+keyboard to be practical for a touchscreen.
I've tried pixi, but honestly, it feels a little too much like a toy to justify paying for. It's a bummer, because the horrible latency in Android makes it worthless for any musical application other than trackers. Here's to hoping that some Android/iProduct developer reads this thread.

Germany

*cough*
im still at the beginning of app making, but i always wanted to make a tracker for android.
the thing though is that im using game maker studio and i have no idea yet how to generate sounds, do pitch bends on samples etc.
if i find ways to do that, i will most probably make a tracker. but dont expect fast progress.
if youre familiar with gm studio youre welcome to help me.

rather than pming me here send me an email: [email protected] , because i dont check the forums very often lately.

Earth

Yes I do think its perfect for trackers. At first I was thrown off of the idea by the lack of a keyboard, but I've since realized that it's probably the best way to make music on such a device. Clunky skeuorphic Daws, and piano rolls are just a waste of space on such a small screen. Anyway I'm working on a project in this vain currently.

Last edited by breakphase (Jan 30, 2014 3:33 pm)

Unsubscribe

I think piggytracker would work really well in the touch interface if you replaced the screenmap and commands with touch menus. Im not a fan of how sunvox does this on touch devices though, so maybe its harder than it first appears.

imagine SWIPE-ing around the different screens in piggy, oh boy

i think the main thing is to make sure its touch -> tracker rather than touch -> virtual querty keyboard -> tracker

if you can get the virtual querty keyboard out of the equation, touch might be even more suitable for trackers than regular keyboards,

im pretty hyped up for the future of tracking, moreso than i have been before; hopefully theres enough people who are interested in the interface to keep it going. but otoh i think its a pretty natural interface that will be discovered over and over again independently by developers

!!! death to piano roll !!!

breakphase wrote:

Yes I do think its perfect for trackers. At first I was thrown off of the idea by the lack of a keyboard, but I've since realized that it's probably the best way to make music on such a device. Clunky skeuorphic Daws, and piano rolls are just a waste of space on such a small screen. Anyway I'm working on a project in this vain currently.

h*ll yeah dude! interested to see what you come up with

ℑndiana ║█║▌║█║▌

another tracker for phone/tablet is Rolling Tones, i do not know much about it.
just recently starting messing around with it but its pretty fun so far

Joliette, QC, Canada

Dosbox turbo + FT2

XyNo wrote:

Dosbox turbo + FT2

NOT what i meant ;-P

South Dakota

SunVox works just fine with touch. I've never used it on an android table/device, so I couldn't say how well it behaves there.
I use it all the time on my ipad, and it works like a champ.
You guys are touching it wrong. wink

babylon

also wanna chime in for sunvox. use it on my ipad all the time, and while its a little slower than being on the computer its still very easy for me to use now that im use to it. tried lots of different ios music stuff and its still my favorite program hands down.

Earth
herr_prof wrote:

I think piggytracker would work really well in the touch interface if you replaced the screenmap and commands with touch menus. Im not a fan of how sunvox does this on touch devices though, so maybe its harder than it first appears.

I find sunvox totally useable, but it's a little funky. My theory on that is that it has to be portable between like 8 different platforms, so maybe that's why it has a non-native feel (no inertial scrolling, no modal views flying around, the way the cursor works). It's both a strength and a limiting factor.

sandneil wrote:

imagine SWIPE-ing around the different screens in piggy, oh boy

i think the main thing is to make sure its touch -> tracker rather than touch -> virtual querty keyboard -> tracker

wink Yeah there are so many ways to approach navigation. You're absolutely right about the message flow.

Last edited by breakphase (Jan 31, 2014 2:02 am)

Joliette, QC, Canada

On Sunvox Android version, you can use a bluetooth keyboard or get OTG micro usb to female usb cable and plug a usb keyboard ! Don't know for iOS but I'm pretty sure it is something similar !