has anybody ever made or custom ordered a glass dmg screen cover? I really want one for my next mod project. Anyone know where i could have one custom made? It doesnt need the graphics on it. If not im gonna try to make one.

clovis CA

I would get a glass cutter and just cut a piece. just trace the old screen cover smile

Santa Cruz, California

Glass that thin seems sketchy.
But, I'm pretty sure anyplace that does custom glass would make it for you (frame shop maybe?) but I'd order several, as you'll invariably break one.

Yeah i realized theyre gonna have to be a good amount thicker than the stock one to avoid breaking them. I'm thinking round the edges so it wouldn't look too wierd to have it sticking out above the dmg case.

matt's mind

tried them (there are glass GBA screens out there which a lot of gamers like, and i just copied those basically).  i have no intact samples now. 

well...  the downsides outweighed the pros basically.  they looked really nice (they were just clear to test, no graphic), but when it comes down to it most people are pretty utilitarian and don't want to treat something they're using heavily like a museum piece.  its just more practical, all around, to go the standard route (imo).

perhaps revisiting this is worth it though, there is gorilla glass and such now which might be more readily available.  i had those samples made....  its got to be at least 3 years or 4 ago now...  and i'm sure a lot of thats changed since tablet glass tech developing more.  or i should ignore this thread and wrap up the stuff i've already got going on haha

United States

just use transparent aluminum

Matthew Joseph Payne

would you recommend something like gorilla glass kitsch? what kind of glass would you guys say has the best clarity. Im not too worried about it breaking cause this gameboy will most likely stay at home and be carefully used.

glass screen protectors would be clutch

Alternately, you could use acrylic/plexiglass.  While tackling a metalworking project last year, I ordered a sample kit from a company in Wisconsin (I'll be damned if I can remember their name) that included about a half-dozen sheets of plexiglass with varying thicknesses.  I'm holding that sample kit in front of me right now and the smallest sheet appears to be roughly two times too thick for your needs.  However, I don't doubt you could get it thinner as plexiglass is way more flexible than glass (and cheaper too--in fact, that sample kit I bought was under $10 if I remember correctly).  If you do end up going with plexiglass, you might want to look for 14g or even 16g if it's available.

There is also the plus side of plexiglass being very workable.  For my project, I was able to quite easily cut two sizable circles out of sheets over 1/4" thick with a jeweler's saw and then file the edges smooth.  It creates a lot of dust, so you may want to wear a mask.  Gloves wouldn't hurt either smile

Last edited by SpookGoblin (Feb 14, 2014 6:28 pm)

would plexiglass be as unscratchable as glass though?

Alive and well in fucksville

plexiglass scratches if you so much as look at it wrong

thats kinda what i figured. Gonna have to go with glass. what kind though?