Liverpool

Hello there,

I have been using an Atari STe to make music for about ten years now. I have always used Notator sl with a couple of midi sound modules and a Tascam 688 for audio. Im really interested in using an Atari as a sound module and linking two computers up via midi using Notator as the sequencer. After researching this chip beast I came to realise that maybe maxymiser or musicmon would be the best way to go (minimoo chip synth seemed bit limited) I own a few computers so should be poss. I loaded up maxymiser. wooooow! man this is hard shit to get my head around, even with the manual!

next I tried musicmon. Managed to make a noise with midi keyboard. That's as far as it went.

Anyone know if Darkangel made a manual for it? (not just the help option)

Cannot understand how to change instruments/sounds etc... don't need to make music on the tracker, just utilise the sounds off the st to sequence and compose on Notator. 

Any info would be boss cheers....

On the ucollective website there is a little introduction video to musicmon in the Atari st part of the forums. I guess it depends on what tracker software you are used to to begin with though.

nowhere

all i have is a readme file that came with the program and the help screen. the program is easy enough to use without docs big_smile

smile
/adam

Last edited by anthrium (Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada

Read the readme there is some useful tips in this one ! Yeah the Help button helps a lot too !
For Musicmon in midi
each track is a channel (ch1-2-3), instrument change is your instruments
idk if it will work but I did a pack with some of my musicmon sounds/songs !!! It can help you to see how we do these !!! wink Tell me if it don't work I will upload it somewhere else !!!
https://www.facebook.com/download/22714 … plates.zip
Edit : BTW I never tried to midi hookup 2 or 3 atari on musicmon at the same time but the infos are in the readme I think !!!

Last edited by XyNo (Feb 18, 2014 6:24 pm)

Liverpool

Hello, that's great, thanks for all the help! Guess it will take some getting used too! Really want to be able to play different instrument sounds from the Atari into Notator sequencing programme, using a midi keyboard, without tracking on musicmon as it were. Im totally new to this way of making music! Will check out your link and see if it sheds any light, Thanks again!

Liverpool

Well good, it worked! Next prob. How do I implement these sounds onto musicmon? ( sorry if im being slow and asking the obvious!!

Liverpool

copy the files onto floppy and load up on musicmon maybe?

Joliette, QC, Canada

If you want to save a song and keep the sounds you need at least 1 pattern in the song editor in which it have your instrument used in it...so input all your instruments at least once in the pattern add your pattern in the the song editor at the top right and save the song !

Sweden

I learned it by playing around with it for a while. Just experiment and try to figure out what effect the different settings have together. Some areas in the editor are marked with either N or S which means they relate to noise and "sound" respectively. "Sound" really refers to the square wave. There is a large grid in the instrument editor screen where you will have to draw your envelopes as a series of volume levels. You can also enable "buzz" with a button, which destroys your envelope settings but will allow for a more complex sound using a timer trick to reset a hardware envelope running at audio frequencies.

It's probably a lot easier for you to just give it a night or two to experiment than finding accurate explanation of its features. Another tip is to load the example songs that come with it and scroll through the instruments they use as you try them out/tweak them etc.

Liverpool

Ah......amazing! Managed to link one Atari sequencing Notator sl with another using Musicmon, played in some basic sounds and notator picked it up! Easier then I thought. Now I have to get to grips with making my own sounds on Musicmon. The songs from XyNo really helped (thanks!) and good tunes too. Been really helpful having some advice from  you guys. Just needed small explanations for a couple of things. Couldn't seem to pick any digidrums up on channels 4 and 5 but sure I can work this out somehow! boomlinde defo right about spending time experimenting. So used to having manuals to software! Defo be on this forum again (prob asking more dumb questions!) Got a soundcloud if any1 interested. Advice and help has been much appreciated from all.....thankyou.

Liverpool

Would be good if I could turn the metronome off  on Musicmon when recording as I already have one on notator!

Holland
XyNo wrote:

If you want to save a song and keep the sounds you need at least 1 pattern in the song editor in which it have your instrument used in it...so input all your instruments at least once in the pattern add your pattern in the the song editor at the top right and save the song !

You can also save your sounds as a kit I believe.

Liverpool

Some instruments on the demo songs keep sustaining without stopping! Anyone know how i alter this? Cheers

Nomad's Land

The volume envelope and repeat values are your friend. Except for buzzer instruments - with those, you need to set a fixed length or shut them off by triggering an empty instrument.

Liverpool

That's great thankyou! Will give it a go. Appreciated!

Liverpool

Anyone know how to change or allocate different instruments to the required midi Chanel? Can't seem to find where on the screen it tells you what instrument is on what channel!
thanks in advance, getting there slowly!