Yeah, as I was doing some research in regards to the Gameboy Advance sound engine, I'm trying to get this cleared up in my mind regards the channels that are available. I also saw that there was a tracker application made that also "emulates" the GBA sound engine itself, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly the channels are overall. All I know is that we do have the main Gameboy sound channels (for the GB and GBC games), which are:

* Pulse 1
* Pulse 2
* Wave (Mono)
* Noise

But what are the other channels in regards to the Game Boy Advance? Some people tell me that there's two additional wave channels (or "direct sound") channels? That's been bugging me for months; any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses on this, all.

Nottingham, UK

GBA has the gameboy legacy channels (ie, pu1 pu2 wav noi) and a dual channel (stereo) 8 bit digital analog converter that plays back wave format sounds. This can play whole songs in wave format, but more commonly was used to play small wave samples arranged within the software.

I think that's more or less right.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Feb 28, 2014 5:35 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Is there even a gba - specific music program? I mean just for pc that's not mml or somesuch.

Unsubscribe

http://www.furiousadvancetracker.com/

Sweeeeeeden

Those two channels are pretty much just a stereo wave output, like on your computer. Any mixing or synthesis, and so on, has to be done in software. In other words, pretty BORING!

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:

Those two channels are pretty much just a stereo wave output, like on your computer. Any mixing or synthesis, and so on, has to be done in software. In other words, pretty BORING!

Boring but useful and with a distinct sound! -w-

I loved MegaManBattleNetwork's mix of the legacy channels+the stereo wave channel.

I wish Boyscout or any of the other GBA trackers incorporated the DAC channels in SOME way, :\

Unsubscribe
nitro2k01 wrote:

Or a lsdj style tracker with two wav channel like synths and higher resolution NOT AS BORING.

NC in the US of America
herr_prof wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Or a lsdj style tracker with two wav channel like synths and higher resolution NOT AS BORING.

This idea makes me think of AHX/HivelyTracker.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Mar 1, 2014 2:12 am)

pu1+pu2+wav+noi+NON STOP AMEN BREAK RINSES

Chicago IL

The most commonly used system was the Sappy engine, which is basically like the SNES chip but software based. Midi files + a ton of instrument sounds.

Melbourne, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

This. So much this.