D D D Detroit, not the burbs

people trip on this kind of thing, dont be one of those people.

United States

I'm still going with the term fakebit is dumb. Your options are 8bit or chiptune, and authentic 8bit or chiptune tongue

Edit: tbh I just use chiptune myself, whether it's authentic or not wink

Last edited by IceWolf (Mar 9, 2014 5:26 am)

Boulder, CO

You're making silly threads instead of making music.

If you're worrying about the tags you'll add to your release, then "chiptune" is alright. If you feel the need to be more specific, judging by what you described in your opening post, you could add the tags "module" and "Renoise".

I wouldn't recommend to add the "8bit" tag because it's too overdone these days, but that's just my personal opinion.

There's no need to use "fakebit".

yes, please don't use "fakebit".

Quebec, Canada

I personally hate the term Fakebit and trust me i won't use it tongue but it gave me a good idea thanks to everyone !

TDK wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

8bit is more about only using 8 channels of sounds where with fakebit is more about video game music remixes which in my opinion are the better chip music : ))))))

Not at all. C64's are 3 channels, Amiga's are 4 channels - same with the Nintendo's. It's the difference between using original hardware, and emulating it (or adding to it).

uuuuh srry but no each channel is 1 bits meaning 8 channels for 8 bits......... : /

Warwickshire, UK
defPREMIUM wrote:
TDK wrote:

Not at all. C64's are 3 channels, Amiga's are 4 channels - same with the Nintendo's. It's the difference between using original hardware, and emulating it (or adding to it).

uuuuh srry but no each channel is 1 bits meaning 8 channels for 8 bits......... : /

So you're saying that music created on a C64 is 3 bit, Amiga is 4bit????

defPREMIUM wrote:
TDK wrote:

Haha!

Arad, Romania
defPREMIUM wrote:
TDK wrote:

No. You're wrong. I'm pretty sure 8bit refers to the CPU of the console. Most consoles\computers traditionally used to make chip music have 8bit CPUs, but there are some exceptions, so 8bit is a bit of a misnomer (no pun intended). It certainly has nothing to do with the sound chip since most consoles or computers used to make chip music don't have 8bit sound chips. Chiptune makes more sense as a term since it simply means music made using sound chips from old computers\consoles.

So to answer the topic question, no. You're not making authentic chip music if you make your own samples or synthesize sounds on anything other than sound chips belonging to old computers\consoles. I don't think it matters though as long as the music sounds good.

Last edited by qb (Mar 9, 2014 12:57 pm)

Sweden
qb wrote:

It certainly has nothing to do with the sound chip since most consoles or computers used to make chip music don't have 8bit sound chips.

To be perfectly fair, by some definitions, they do (8-bit bus interfaces etc.). I say this a lot, but I don't think that "8-bit", as typically used to describe music, has anything to do with hardware technicalities.

qb wrote:

Chiptune makes more sense as a term since it simply means music made using sound chips from old computers\consoles.

Amiga computers were still pretty new by the time "chiptune" started being used to describe some music that was made with them. I don't think that a reasonable definition would take relative age into consideration.

qb wrote:

So to answer the topic question, no. You're not making authentic chip music if you make your own samples

Coincidentally, that is how "chiptune" sounds are traditionally made.

Gosford, Australia
defPREMIUM wrote:
TDK wrote:

hedgehog.jpg

Warwickshire, UK
boomlinde wrote:

Coincidentally, that is how "chiptune" sounds are traditionally made.

That's the irony of it all big_smile

that awkward moment when i trolled better than intended.......

Nottingham, UK

True Chip Till Death.

Nottingham, UK

EDIT: double post.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Mar 9, 2014 8:04 pm)