CHIPTUNE

Does anyone know of any chipmusic that was released on records/cassettes/etc in the 1990s? There's tons of Amiga gabba/breakcore, but I mean things that sound like chipmusic. You know - beepepeeepidididid ee iiiiii beeppeppep 10001011101. Just posted the ones I know about here - http://chipflip.wordpress.com - but hungry for more. Maybe the 90s was like this?

EDIT: ...or netlabels for that matter.

Last edited by goto80 (May 6, 2010 6:43 pm)

A gray world of dread

Hmm, I only remember Alec Empire's, but you got that one already. There were a few game soundtracks available on CD, but they hardly count because the where mostly pimped versions recorded from synths. When did Purple Motion release his album? *checks* 2004, too late. Bodenständig 2000 had some 90s releases. Edit: Ah damn, you got those, too.

goto80 wrote:

I mean things that sound like chipmusic. You know - beepepeeepidididid ee iiiiii beeppeppep 10001011101.

I'd like to add this quote to the wiki chiptune article, may I?

Last edited by µB (May 6, 2010 7:11 pm)

Liverpool, UK

aswell as Nintendo Teenage Robot (aka Alec Empire) who used Mariopaint on the Gameboy

You Wot? There's a version of Mario Paint for the Game Boy? Or is this a mistake?

CHIPTUNE
calmdownkidder wrote:

You Wot? There's a version of Mario Paint for the Game Boy? Or is this a mistake?

My bad. I confused it with Gameboy Camera. Mario .... Camera ... I do it all it the time!!!

µB wrote:

I'd like to add this quote to the wiki chiptune article, may I?

Hehe, yeah.

You mentioned Monotonik on chipflip, that's the oldest netlabel I know, actually.

I don't know about physical printed releases, but I'm sure there were plenty of musicdisks and that sort of thing.

Milwaukee, WI

I know that Ty (dispyz) originally wrote Raverblood in 1995 and recorded various forms of the tune on different cassette releases. These cassettes featured other chip-based material and had a circulation of about 100 in the Midwest when Radiograffiti was strictly a cassette imprint. You might have to ask him for details though.

Milwaukee, WI

I should add that the Raverblood 7" released last year is much different than the original cassettes from what I remember hearing, it's been years. The tapes were rooted in the c64/Amiga synthesis with acid style arrangements and lots of tape saturation. Ask him.

Athens, Greece

check the fishcopf hamburg (i don't know if i typed it right) label, lots of amiga stuff, one of my favourite labels too!

Athens, Greece

Athens, Greece

also, very interesting article, i love your blog smile

(triple post lol)

Milwaukee, WI

Fischkopf is the undisputed champ of hardcore, bloody fist is a close second.

CHIPTUNE

@Mano: Thanks. I've got 9 Fischkopf-releases listed in the timeline, but I didn't reach the label-people yet though. If you know of 8-bit stuff that's not in the timeline, let me know. If you're not too busy rioting for the economy, that is. smile

@RG: Ok, I'll e-mail him and ask, thanks.

Rochester, NY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

lots of stuff of DHR was 8-bit.
i did some 8-bit stuff in the late 90's.as well as tracker based stuff when i was really young but i didn't know it was
a tracker at the time. and sadly never recorded any of it. too bad.haha..
uh... yeah.. DHR had a bunch..

Alec Empire, ATR, Patric C , Christiof de bavelon, ec8or, etc etc

Tokyo, Japan

I don't know how strict you are on your definitions but there are oceans of game soundtracks from the 90s on all the YM based japanese home computers like x, x68000, pc8x/9x series

Rochester, NY
low-gain wrote:

lots of stuff of DHR was 8-bit...

not really... i didn't mention Christoph de Babalon or EC8OR/Catani (other than the album above) because they fall more into gabber/hardcore/dnb/etc styles than the more 'bleepy' stuff he was asking about. they both did all their stuff on Amigas though. Empire's 'NTR' album and Catani's "The Horrible Plans..." are the only ones that could really fit that definition. Empire himself never used any 8-bit devices other than that (though he started using the Game Boy a bit more into the 00s), besides maybe a few samples from games and stuff every once in a while. same with his ATR stuff, nothing more than the occasional sample. none of the other bands on the roster used any 8-bit gear at all.

Last edited by jbuonacc (May 7, 2010 3:01 am)