Sorry if I am missing a sticky on this topic, but I have a question about prosound on the DMG.  I did this mod myself (Soldered the audio jack to the post pot pins) and the finished product works great with my speaker system here at home.  The only issue is that the actual DMG speaker still plays a faint sound of whatever is currently playing.  So I get sound out of both my stereo speakers and the small speaker on the DMG.  Is this normal or did I miss a step in the modding process?  Once again I apologies if this has already been covered, Thanks!

CA

AFAIK the amp is responsible for disabling the speaker when headphone jack is popped in. Since prosound signal is taken directly from the pot (bypassing the amp) the speaker remains on.

chicago

Mine is wired post-pot and doesn't do this at all (speaker is on when nothing is plugged in, off when something is).  Although I kept my mod internal (but used this: http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/product/dmg-audio) instead of wiring straight up to a raw 1/4" (or 1/8") jack.  If you did it externally, I think you just have to cut the speaker wire permanently and disable it?  Although I might be wrong.

Last edited by untilzero (Mar 10, 2014 9:14 pm)

CA
untilzero wrote:

Mine is wired post-pot and doesn't do this at all (speaker is on when nothing is plugged in, off when something is).  Although I kept my mod internal (but used this: http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/product/dmg-audio) instead of wiring straight up to a raw 1/4" (or 1/8") jack.  If you did it externally, I think you just have to cut the speaker wire permanently and disable it?  Although I might be wrong.

Internal pro sound leaves the original headphone jack connection intact and I assume in this case the amp receives the signal and cuts off the speaker.

Indiana

I actually find it to be a helpful feature. It removes a step of troubleshooting if you aren't getting sound from your system.

clovis CA

funny, i was just talking about switches with a member on here.
there is a white wire connected to the headphone jack pcb, that is connected to a switch. when the switch is disconnected, the amp believes there are headphones in the jack and shuts off the speaker.

Cleveland, OH

The stock headphone jack is actually what shuts the speaker off. There is no jack in existence(that I know of) that works the same way. The signal to the speaker actually runs directly through the headphone jack and is then cut off when anything is plugged in. A prosound jack will never do this unless you prosound the stock headphone jack.

I really appreciate the quick and insightful responses from all of you!  I dont necessarily mind the slight bit of sound coming out of the speaker, I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt losing any sound quality from the prosound jack due to this, which doesnt seem to be an issue here!  Thanks much all, you're awesome!

Washington, PA

If the sound out of the speaker bothers you, you could always take a cheap pair of headphones, cut off the plug and put it in the jack whenever you need a jury-rigged GameBoy silencer.

Seattle, WA
thursdaycustoms wrote:

The stock headphone jack is actually what shuts the speaker off. There is no jack in existence(that I know of) that works the same way. The signal to the speaker actually runs directly through the headphone jack and is then cut off when anything is plugged in. A prosound jack will never do this unless you prosound the stock headphone jack.

I'm pretty sure the signal to the speaker doesn't actually go to the headphone jack. I think it's the amp that switches where the audio goes. The front speaker audio is summed mono, and there's nothing on the audio-jack board to do that. That and there are three connections between the amp and the headphone board, I'm assuming 2 are the stereo audio, and I'm guessing the third looks to see if you've plugged in headphones (the fourth is ground). I haven't taken that apart yet, so I can't say for sure.

There are several permanent ways to disable audio to the front speaker if that's what you're after, but an intermediary switch is the only way I know of to selectively disable the front audio aside from putting a dummy 1/8" plug into it.

Why did you choose to solder to the post-pot pins?

Last edited by bit 9 (Mar 12, 2014 11:17 pm)

I went post pot for the ability of changing the volume from the device.  I plan on using this DMG for on the go composing, so I want to be able to change the volume if I have headphones on and stuff.  Simply personal preference in this case.  I'm actually pretty new to modding DMG's, but anyways you sparked a new question for me...  What are the advantages to wiring pre-pot as opposed to post pot?

Unsubscribe

Post pot kinda defeats the purpose., the whole point of the pro sound is to tap the signal prepot for better sound fidelity that is uncolored by the crappy headphone pot.

Seattle, WA

By the time it gets through the pot, each channel of audio has gone through a capacitor, a resistor, and whatever resistance is left in the pot.
It's ultimately a matter of preference, and won't matter unless you're wanting to record the best possible sound. Generally, the fewer kinks in the pipeline, the purer the sound. The other thing is interference, which would be more of a problem if you pulled audio at the amp (because it'd need to traverse the entire width of the board, past the CPU and over all its video related output), but I digress.
This is all theory coming from me, because I don't have the ability to do a comparison, but it'd be interesting to see.

Seattle, WA

double post somehow...

Last edited by bit 9 (Mar 13, 2014 2:37 am)

Unsubscribe

http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Seattle, WA

Yeah, that's a good article, but I'm talking more about a comparison of audio taken straight off the CPU vs it taken anywhere else.