Abandoned on Fire

I've probably mentioned this idea on here before but I wanted to lay it out as clear as possible and see what you guys have to say about it.

"Crossfade" would basically be the normal sync function but instead of both GBs starting at the same time they "take turns" whenever START is pressed on the master.  As in: the master GB is playing and the slave is not, press start, now the slave is playing and the master is not, etc.

So you could do things like:

1. Easily make seamless transitions by having bridge sections on the master and your main tracks on the slave
2. Jump between beats breakcore-style
3. Stretch out your best tracks by sticking sections of other tracks in the middle or some junk i dunno

That's all assuming that you could navigate and load songs on the STOPPED gameboy while the other gameboy was still playing.

I think this is the same functionality as the current sync just with the slave start/stop reversed.  Right?  Seems easy enough the implement maybe?

Unsubscribe

Yea but how would you prevent feedback loops? Youd have to poll cycles that listen to for clock and decide if that dmg is slave or master. You could just as easily save the state in the song, and load it when you load the song.

Abandoned on Fire

The master/slave designation wouldn't change.  So you'd only be hitting the start button on the master gameboy and each press would swap out which one was playing.  Or is that not what you meant?

Unsubscribe

No i mean youd have to program some logic in lsdj that would say OH IM NOT A SLAVE NOW IM MASTER, which makes it slightly more complicated. You could also just have a full time MASTER DMG slave two slave dmgs if you really wanted to get fancy.

Abandoned on Fire

No i mean the very same gameboy is always the master, it still tells the slave when to start and stop it's just that start/stop are reversed for the two gaemboys.

Unsubscribe

Ok then why not just have the the master game boy have a blank SLAVING chain that controls the tempo of the slave gameboy, and have the slave gameboy play a blank row when the master is doing this thang?

Abandoned on Fire

I *think* I get what you mean. That may do the trick, I'll have to experiment!

Abandoned on Fire

That would require that you're in live mode so that the two gameboys can play from different song positions right? I never use live mode so I'm not positive that's how it works.

Last edited by egr (Mar 17, 2014 3:47 pm)

matt's mind

what about a third, external master device?  sort of like a word clock in video systems.  just one thing to keep the whole lot in time, as the devoted master, and everything else is a slave.

(unless i've missed your point perhaps)

matt's mind

just noticed herr_prof already said this...

nevermind!  it might be easier with a devoted master device though

Milwaukee, WI
herr_prof wrote:

OH IM NOT A SLAVE NOW IM MASTER.

I vote this as CM.O word bubble.

Unsubscribe
egr wrote:

That would require that you're in live mode so that the two gameboys can play from different song positions right? I never use live mode so I'm not positive that's how it works.

yea

Unsubscribe
TSC wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

OH IM NOT A SLAVE NOW IM MASTER.

I vote this as CM.O word bubble.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp

Matthew Joseph Payne

OH where would we ever find a MASTER CLOCK DEVICE FOR GAMEBOYS?

hint: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/quint wink

Unsubscribe

Or
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/1 … -boys.html

Last edited by herr_prof (Mar 17, 2014 4:26 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

I believe I've wrapped my head around what prof suggested and that would for sure achieve the same thing I'm talking about.  I think "on demand" start/stop flip flopping would be a lot more spontaneous and worth some testing if there's room for it.