Hey guys, I posted this in the introduction thread but it probably wasn't the place to do so, so I thought I'd try here. Basically my current options for making chip are lsdj on gbd until I hack my gameboy, but I also have milkytracker and ableton 9 with 8bit vsts and packs...which brings me to a question, what would be the best way to go about making chip music? Is ableton the obvious choice between it and milky? And can you hook up lsdj with ableton?
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Unsubscribe

Matthew Joseph Payne

The best way to make chipmusic, imo, is however you can do it with whatever you already have. As you find your voice in the medium, you might drift towards tools that are more effective at achieving what you want to make, but for now just work with what you've got.

If you have LSDJ running on a real Gameboy, you can use an arduinoboy to sync it with Ableton, and anything else with MIDI functionality. You can also sequence the gameboy from Ableton and to a limited degree, vice-versa.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hacking" your gameboy, but all you REALLY need to get LSDJ running is a working flash cartridge.

.FILTHadelphia

Gameboys are dumb. Download goattracker and get to work.

UK, Leicester

try out as many things as you can, then use what you find the most comfortable. I bought LSDJ ages ago, and rarely use it. It's nice to have just incase, but I much prefer using famitracker or piggytracker. I really like a lot of stuff written in milky, but I can't write the type of music that sounds good in it.

I to am confuserated about what you mean by "until I hack my gameboy"
I kinda assumed that the reason people "hacked" their shizz was to give it extra potential for music or whatever. I backlit mine because I could play games/use LSDJ in the dark.

California

The great thing about chipmusic is that there are so many great, powerful tools available that are free or very reasonably priced. Try out what you already have, and if you don't like any of them go online and just look around for other programs until you find something that fits you! It doesn't matter what the "best way" is as long as the music itself is good.

rochester, ny

you can make it with any of those options. one isn't better than the others, they're just different. do whichever one you enjoy the most.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback, you've given me some really good advice smile What I mean by 'hacking' is along the lines of backlighting, like you mentioned Alpine, but also putting in things like ps/2 connector, pitch mod, internal LED's and stuff like that, but yeah maybe 'hacking' wasn't the right word, perhaps 'modding'? Just the first time I saw a modded gameboy like that I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Defiantsystems is this goattracker - http://cadaver.homeftp.net/tools.htm ? Can you tell me more about it?
But yes, overall time to stop going back and forth between trackers/programs and start making chip!

England

goat tracker lets you make C64 music with PC/Mac. C64 has really nice features like filters and ring modulation that other old systems dont have.

but it isnt vary noob friendly smile

here are a couple of tutorials, if you fancy a challenge:

http://youtu.be/dZyBP7bTKzc

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=81146

Last edited by Jellica (Mar 21, 2014 9:29 am)

yeah I read something that said the exact same thing... it looks reaaaally cool, but maybe ill just hang out in the shallows for a while before i tackle it. thanks smile