France (au milieu)

Hi,

Just starting my discovery tour of LSDJ on a old gray GMB…
and well, kinda VERY pleased  about getting into it at last, it’s much more instinctive than what I thought, and the potential seems rather huge!! just have very little spare time these days, gasp sad

For my personal use (=among with other instruments) I will momentary only need a bass and beats, in a dubbish/trip-hopish/D&Bassish kind of environment, but not quite… well, nevermind…

Don’t know if you’ve hear about ‘’Silence’’ from Belgium (try the first one):

http://www.jamendo.com/fr/artist/245/silence (warning: no chip music inside at all)

It’s not exactly what I want to aim to, but, well… kind of…

I know that nothing actually replaces personal experimentation, but I just wanted to get  the ‘’general feeling’’ about how to take it in hands before getting deeper into the ‘’real stuff’’

I was wondering the pro and contra between:

-    Bass on pulse1 / Beats on Wave Channel (kits or custom wave form) +pulse2+noise
-    Beats on pulse1&2+noise  / Bass on wave (kit or custom wave form)

What do you think  could be the most  effective set up ?

Goal is to get to some ‘’vivid’’ bass sound and  ‘’short deep and punchy kicks’’

Mannheim, Germany

if you want it to sound heavy enough for an actual club, there is no alternative to bass on the wav channel. pulse-channel kicks are usually sufficient, but if you want heavier kicks you can let wav kicks fade into the bass. its kind of unwieldy, though, and the kicks dont sound as deep as normal wav-kicks.

only way to get heavy bass on the pulse channels would be to mod your game boy with a different oszillator, which makes everything one octave lower. dont know how well that works, though.

or, use a second game boy so you have two wav channels.

France (au milieu)

thanks for extra quick answer!

heavy enough for an actual club

not really, I can use a bass multi effect to boost the things up, and it will be only for rehearsal/home recording for now

I rather find clean/punchy kicks and round bass than loud everything

mod your game boy with a different oszillator

no, no, no more electronic wizardness than backlight and pro sound... enough!! smile

or, use a second game boy

...or a pc with reason smile
i'd rather stick on a very simple set, in order to free myself for flute and lopper

Last edited by Sesska (Mar 21, 2014 2:31 pm)

England

if you have the all of the tracks in the game boy for just beats and base, why dont you have snares and part of the bass line on the 1st pulse, kicks and other bits of the bass line on the second pulse, wav channel for more bass kicks and snares and other percussion and noise for cymbals and whooshes.

Mannheim, Germany

im glad to share my (limited) wisdom.

not really, I can use a bass multi effect to boost the things up, and it will be only for rehearsal/home recording for now

I rather find clean/punchy kicks and round bass than loud everything

true, pulse channel instruments sound a lot cleaner and punchier due to attack and decay options. but it just doesnt go low enough for bass IMO; cant boost what isnt there in the first place.

or ...or a pc with reason

you have to synchronize your game boy with your DAW though, since the game boy's midi clock is not steady enough. and you probably will find it pretty hard to start playback in LSDj and Reason at the exact same time. you can use an arduinoboy for synchronization, but i didnt get it to work. which is a shame, since that would have been pretty cool.

also, jellica knows his shit.

Last edited by Orange Creamsicle (Mar 21, 2014 3:10 pm)

Madriz, Supain
Jellica wrote:

if you have the all of the tracks in the game boy for just beats and base, why dont you have snares and part of the bass line on the 1st pulse, kicks and other bits of the bass line on the second pulse, wav channel for more bass kicks and snares and other percussion and noise for cymbals and whooshes.

Pulse snares? Share your witchcraft

Seattle, WA
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
Jellica wrote:

If he weighs as much as a duck we need that snare recipe.

Unsubscribe

i like layering pulse and wav basses, so you get the nice snappy envelope of a pulse and the BERRRANG sub shake of the wav. Pulse snares are fun too, messing with high vibrato settings or layering it with your noise click.

My next level moment for my songs was just making everyone one instrument... way more cohesive, massive sounding.

Last edited by herr_prof (Mar 21, 2014 3:18 pm)

Seattle, WA
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
Jellica wrote:

If he weighs as much as a duck we need that snare recipe.

France (au milieu)
Jellica wrote:

waow... that sounds great... but... complicated oO

how do you manage to ''think you basslines'' on 2 different channels ???

what's the actual advantage compared to snares/kicks on pusle1 and whole basse line on pulse2 ?

you have to synchronize your game boy with your DAW though

no, no!! that was just ironic, what I really like in this idea is 1gameboy and that's it! smile

freedom!!!! \o/
i love the idea of train/bank/toilettes/wherever tracking!!

so once i've managed to get a satisfiying bass sound (just tried the pulse side for the moment to be honest) and some personnal ''drum solution'' either with Kit, Custom wave or whatever, i'll have enough to work on for the next few month / years smile

France (au milieu)
herr_prof wrote:

i like layering pulse and wav basses,.

you mean pulse1+Wav for bass and pulse2+noise for beat ?

herr_prof wrote:

My next level moment for my songs was just making everyone one instrument...

a 4channel bass, then record... and a 4 channel beat... then a 4 channels lead and so on ?

hardcore...

Unsubscribe

No everything in one arrangement. Everything reinforcing everything else. No overdubs.

Dallas, Texas

If you want to use 'Short deep kick" AND "vivid bass" You should put them both on the wav channel. The pulses don't really go low enough for bass anyways. Just use grooves to make the kick only last 3 ticks and quickly change the instrument to your bass immediately after the kick to give the very convincing illusion of them happening simultaneously.

I personally tend to put bass kick and snare all on the wav. Bass and kicks can be played together using the 3 tic trick. and snares interrupt the bass giving things a more clarity, impact and c64 feel. Theres also noise snare options.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Mar 21, 2014 5:20 pm)

I love using the PU1 for my kick drums by utilizing the S command. If you write your song so that the lowest bass note in your song is C3, you can get a decent low bass in the pulse channel. I often layer a wav bass with a pulse bass. This especially works well when you want to get into the more growly bass sound possibilities in the wav channel, as they often have a cool sound but end up lacking sub bass. Also layering sounds in general works wonders

Unsubscribe

yea i agree with luke, you can use pulse kick to trick the ear into hearing heavier kicks using wav bass.

Madison, Alabama

I usually use one wav channel for bass and kick, even if I'm using 2xLSDJ, because the wav channel is also great for expressive leads.

Just experiment, but (in my opinion) the wav channel is going to give you your clearest kicks and lowest basses