Planet Zaxxon

I've been trying to find some portable midi file players, but didn't come across anything basic. I've been using my laptop for live midi use and was going to try using an MPC, but I just would like something smaller, and very very basic. Just something to play back midi files, and has at least 1 midi out. I came across some midi file players from roland and what not, but most didnt have midi outs... And then there are those small compact ones from Yamaha (qy series), which would be perfect, but I make the midi files on my computer (im just more used to it) and they have no way of putting midi files any of the units by floppy or usb or whatever. And also, yamaha uses SMF files (standard midi file) rather than .mid.

Anyone have some suggestions?

New York, New York

The Alesis MMT-8 can play MIDI, has a MIDI out, and is medium-sized. It saves songs in SYSEX format, but you can convert MIDI files to the MMT-8 format. See http://www.mmt8.com/ if you want to look into this hardware sequencer.

Unsubscribe

http://www.sdmidicontroller.com/

so pricey! surely there is a arduino alternative..

also:

http://www.minimusic.com/hardware2.html

Last edited by herr_prof (May 9, 2010 12:22 am)

Planet Zaxxon

yea the mmt8 is a little too big.. I used to have one, and the alesis drum machine that looks just like it... the mmt8 is almost as big as the mpc2000...

but dang, that sdmidicontroller would be perfect, but I am not paying that much just to play back midi files ! ha yikes.

uhajdafdfdfa

.mid is the file extension for SMF files, hehe. They are the same thing, although you are right that some Yamaha gear is not compatible with midi files made on something else right off the bat. The QY-20 at least has a GM compatability mode (however I don't think it can play back all 16 channels) and an extra attachment lets you move files about with a floppy disc (good luck finding one of those now, though sad ). The QY-100 (newer model), on the other hand, can play all 16 channels, and it has an SD card slot for very easy transfers to your PC, so that seems like it would be more what you are looking for. smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i thought the old yamaha QY stuff would be able to do that.
battery operated too.

Planet Zaxxon
ant1 wrote:

.mid is the file extension for SMF files, hehe. They are the same thing, although you are right that some Yamaha gear is not compatible with midi files made on something else right off the bat. The QY-20 at least has a GM compatability mode (however I don't think it can play back all 16 channels) and an extra attachment lets you move files about with a floppy disc (good luck finding one of those now, though sad ). The QY-100 (newer model), on the other hand, can play all 16 channels, and it has an SD card slot for very easy transfers to your PC, so that seems like it would be more what you are looking for. smile

yep, because I had one of the older qy things... tried to put .mid files on there, wouldn't recognize them.. and tried all these various midi file converters, and nothing worked.  Is the QY-100 more compatible with midi files made on other sources?  I didnt know that had an sd slot.. hmmmm

Unsubscribe

http://line6.com/midimobilizer/

Not sure if it plays seqeunces.. but if you already have an iphone..

PDX, PDX
OxygenStar wrote:
ant1 wrote:

yep, because I had one of the older qy things... tried to put .mid files on there, wouldn't recognize them.. and tried all these various midi file converters, and nothing worked.  Is the QY-100 more compatible with midi files made on other sources?  I didnt know that had an sd slot.. hmmmm

I think the QY100 has a Smart Media slot which makes finding cards for it less than easy.

Abandoned on Fire

I've got a Korg SQ-8 you can pretty much have.  If you think it would be useful, PM me.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/sequencers.php  (a little info on there)

Planet Zaxxon

Ya know what really sucks? the mpc2000xl having a midi file size limit... It will not load any midi file over 250k !! what the eff ?!?!?! so stupid.

does anyone know the file size limit of the qy100 ??

and egr, does the sq8 have any way of transferring midi files onto it? it says its from 86, so I doubt it would even read "modern" .mid files...

Abandoned on Fire

You have play the files into it like a midi tape recorder, very meh. Also needs a wall wart. Impulse buy equals yes.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Mr. Spastic used this for a while for live use to playback .mid files for his midines. He composed on a computer, saved as .mid and simply transferred to his
MPC 500 and made adjustments.