Medina, Ohio

I have a PAL n64 in the mail that I didn't realize was PAL until it had already shipped.

Is there any way to make NTSC games work on a PAL n64? I've heard of the other way around working before by some simple mods but never heard of the other way around. I don't think it would work for me because aren't the video signals different too so I would need a PAL television anyway?

Would love to hear any thoughts.

Michigan

It seems like it will be much more work than anyone wants to do.
1. Hack the console to be region free
2. buy a PAL TV or
3. Hack the video circuit for NTSC frequencies

I think your best bet is to pawn it off at the local VG resale and get yourself an NTSC console.

Chicago IL

From what I think I understand, unless you did some fairly extreme modding, NTSC games would play slower on a PAL device. The only proof I have of this though is using PAL ROMs on an NTSC SNES emulator for dreamcast, because it wasn't great and had trouble playing NTSC ROMs at full speed.

There's a really good chance I'm completely wrong.

But I think the only way to get everything working correctly without extensive modding would be to get PAL games and a PAL TV. Your easiest and cheapest option is probably to just put that back on eBay and buy an NTSC one.

Ottawa, Ontario

basically u fucked up

Medina, Ohio
Jazzmarazz wrote:

It seems like it will be much more work than anyone wants to do.

That's what I thought.

I guess I'll just leave it in the box and put it back on eBay.

Sweden

Some TVs support PAL60 over composite, which is video at 60Hz frequency with PAL color encoding. As long as you can get the N64 to output that it might be fine depending on your TV. If you have any means to use RGB video from the N64, chances are even greater that the TV will support both 50/60 Hz. Then it's just a matter of game region.

United States

depending on where it's coming from you would also need to switch the power adapter for a domestic 120v AC one, since a lot of PAL countries have ~230v AC primaries.

Last edited by Boner (Mar 28, 2014 11:38 pm)

Sweden

I'm pretty sure the N64 PSU does 50/60Hz AC over 110-240V, so that shouldn't matter. Read up on it before you try anything, though.

EDIT: Double checked, my adapter is rated for 230V/50Hz only sad

Last edited by boomlinde (Mar 29, 2014 12:34 pm)

Medina, Ohio

I lucked out big time. It is indeed an NTSC! I think it was part of the auto info on ebay, as I am looking at others for sale and they all have the same info.

Sweden

Sweet!