brooklyn!
herr_prof wrote:
likeluke wrote:

also, how about this

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1398/ … bba-gabba/

nickelodeon is a pretty big station, right? sucks that they want to use mark denardo to rope people into thinking that 8-bit stuff is cool.

Not to mention that fucking game based on a MICHEAL CERA MOVIE.

i know man, i can't believe how hard we sold out. but this is it! they're USING us to trick people into thinking 8-bit is the next big thing!
right?

hold on, one second. sorry, i just need to light this diamond-encrusted cigar using a flaming copy of action comics #1.

thieveland ohio

too old and cynical for this discussion. damned if you do damned if you don't...no such thing as selling out believe me i lived through the 90's punk scene.

AANABAY01

i can't maintain my ghost white complexion in all this limelight

A gray world of dread
arfink wrote:

chip style stuff as the next breakthrough genre

TBH, I can't see it happening, at least not to full-blown TOP OF THE POPS level. Blips in the next Christina Aguilera track? Sure. Coldplay pixel video? Of course. ZZZV in the MTV top 100? No.

I could see it go to a point where crossover artists a la Anamanaguchi or Sabrepulse (his breaky stuff) get a dedicated mid-level label like Ninja Tune, which in the world of music biz still counts as underground. I'd be perfectly ok with that, and why not? More power to whoever can live that dream.

What I think most probable is that 'chip' (who cares about if it's a C64 or NES. It goes beep.) gets integrated in the producer reportoir of signature sounds a lot frimer than it used to be, and will pop up more often. The VL-1 was maybe the standout synth for that in the pre-Timbaland era. At most I expect the square arp to reach the usage level of a 303 (and how often do you hear one nowadays in comercial pop?).

Geneva, NY

If this was the OMG let's sign every offbeat act mid-90's, Bud Melvin would have a record deal and be in the MTV Top 20 countdown, no problem.  But the times, they are a-changin'....

Philly

I want to be on MTV Cribs so badly.

Brazil

Superpowerless

never 4get

England

I just want it to be an artist who I actually like to make it.

Some guy in a silly hat who makes cheesy trance with chip VSTs? No thanks.

Pop Punk poseurs using squarewaves? No thanks.

Indie twunts dropping crappy video game references? Eugh.

Last edited by Jellica (May 14, 2010 8:34 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

Why does being mentioned on a website about technology signal the beginning of the end? I'm sure it's happened before.

Much more scary is the Guardian (a national newspaper in the UK) telling people to check out 8bc's top likes chart. neutral

New York City

Why does any press mention about anything or anyone related to chipmusic mean the beginning of the end? The hoardes of bad chipmusic have arrived years ago despite media exposure. So don't blame media for shittune, the "end" arrived from the online community itself.

Big ups to whoever got media exposure in this occasion and ever, and I hope more people that really deserve it and can truly represent the proper scene get more media exposure.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 14, 2010 4:17 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

Because each person who knows what chip music is decreases our hipster cool by one point - we're only listening to this music because no one else we know has heard of it! wink

Unsubscribe
akira^8GB wrote:

Big ups to whoever got media exposure in this occasion and ever, and I hope more people that really deserve it and can truly represent the proper scene get more media exposure.

BOSTON
ant1 wrote:

Because each person who knows what chip music is decreases our hipster cool by one point - we're only listening to this music because no one else we know has heard of it! wink

how else will we condescend to everyone if not from an impenetrable shroud of obscurity?????

New York City
akira^8GB wrote:

Why does any press mention about anything or anyone related to chipmusic mean the beginning of the end? The hoardes of bad chipmusic have arrived years ago despite media exposure. So don't blame media for shittune, the "end" arrived from the online community itself.

TSSBAY01

'the pooping mouth'

Minneapolis

I'm almost sorry for the comments I made earlier. Almost. big_smile

I think I do agree with Akira pretty strongly though. This thread has gotten some very interesting and intelligent conversation going on.