Enid, OK

This is on the front page of the Wired Magazine website today:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/05/g … ic-videos/

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

"8-Bit Imagery Invades Music Videos"

Some people would say that there was a twang of 8bit in the music, too.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

Frankly the whole "8-bit video, modern music" thing really pisses me off
I can't stand some of those

Minneapolis

Well, it was bound to happen some day. The big media moguls are bound to realise there might actually be some money in the chipmusic scene, and they're trying to bridge the gap. See, the scene as it is now doesn't produce alot of money. But get the mainstream sheep interested in chip style stuff as the next breakthrough genre and viola; a new cash cow. They have done it with countless genres. Guess who's next?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm sounding all apocalyptic. I get that way when I ponder large, nebulous, poorly defined corporate entities such as "big media moguls."

EDIT2: Did some reading. Found out Wired is owned and operated by Condé Nast, which in turn is owned and operated by Advance Publications, one of the largest publishing houses in the world and the 46th largest corporation in the world. They in turn are connected to a vast network of media companies, including the Discovery Network. Isn't it all interesting?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Publications

So, keep it indie folks. Have a nice night!

Last edited by arfink (May 11, 2010 3:45 am)

Turku, FIN

What the hell. Our video for Leeni there. First. Niiice.

England

Architecture in Helsinki!

GNV / FL / USA

Oh no we're once again on the verge of making it big and losing our day jobs to do what we love full time! Abort! Abort! Back to the underground shows with 10 people showing up! Quick!

More videos about chipmusic, chiptune, 8-bit music, ASCII art, voxel and pixel art ???

Check here :
http://woolyss.com/videos.php

wink

Unsubscribe
NO CARRIER wrote:

Oh no we're once again on the verge of making it big and losing our day jobs to do what we love full time! Abort! Abort! Back to the underground shows with 10 people showing up! Quick!

Hush haircut.

Anaheim, California
Jellica wrote:

brooklyn!
arfink wrote:

Well, it was bound to happen some day. The big media moguls are bound to realise there might actually be some money in the chipmusic scene, and they're trying to bridge the gap. See, the scene as it is now doesn't produce alot of money. But get the mainstream sheep interested in chip style stuff as the next breakthrough genre and viola; a new cash cow. They have done it with countless genres. Guess who's next?

a) what happened to "chip music is not a genre"? saying they'll exploit chip sounds to cash in is pretty goofy.

b) are you also upset that these videos are getting any attention at all? would you rather that people who make good videos and music using an aesthetic that you enjoy wouldn't get written up in a widely-read, albeit "big media" publication? "keeping it indie" is good and all, but there's no point in producing superb material if you don't care about expanding your audience. whether or not they're corporately owned, i'd say the odds are strong that someone who reads wired magazine will have an interest in 8-bit art.

brooklyn!

also, how about this

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1398/ … bba-gabba/

nickelodeon is a pretty big station, right? sucks that they want to use mark denardo to rope people into thinking that 8-bit stuff is cool.

Minneapolis
likeluke wrote:
arfink wrote:

a) what happened to "chip music is not a genre"? saying they'll exploit chip sounds to cash in is pretty goofy.

b) are you also upset that these videos are getting any attention at all? would you rather that people who make good videos and music using an aesthetic that you enjoy wouldn't get written up in a widely-read, albeit "big media" publication? "keeping it indie" is good and all, but there's no point in producing superb material if you don't care about expanding your audience. whether or not they're corporately owned, i'd say the odds are strong that someone who reads wired magazine will have an interest in 8-bit art.

Nah, it's just fun to rag on big business when you're in a dour mood. smile

Brooklon

!!!

Russolo wrote:
Jellica wrote:

!!!

IL, US
NO CARRIER wrote:

i wish
i mean the increase in soulless fucks would suck, but i really dont like my day job, so i could cope wink

Unsubscribe
likeluke wrote:

also, how about this

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1398/ … bba-gabba/

nickelodeon is a pretty big station, right? sucks that they want to use mark denardo to rope people into thinking that 8-bit stuff is cool.

Not to mention that fucking game based on a MICHEAL CERA MOVIE.