rochester, ny

hey all,

my friend hannah is conducting some market research for a class project. if anyone hear could take a minute to fill out her survey, that would be rad!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/177EViG … E/viewform

it's about a website idea where people could export midi clips from ableton / pro tools, upload them to a website, and receive high quality wav's in return of those midi sequences played back through a library of real hardware synthesizers on a cost-per-use basis. it would give the bedroom producer access to a large library of classic synths that they could otherwise never afford. a pretty great concept!

anyways, yeah, thanks for checking it out!

Gosford, Australia

cool, filled it out. smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

If you had access to a synthesizer from your home/studio for recording purposes, would that be a desired alternative to owning it?
  Yes
Maybe
I don't know

Why isn't there a "No" option?

Anyway, filled out. Neat idea!

Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy
kineticturtle wrote:

If you had access to a synthesizer from your home/studio for recording purposes, would that be a desired alternative to owning it?
  Yes
Maybe
I don't know

Why isn't there a "No" option?

+1
anyway, filled out too smile

Los Angeles, CA

I filled it out as well.  Super interesting concept!

Sweden

Submitted. The real-time aspect of it doesn't seem technically feasible without really long buffers, though.

boomlinde wrote:

Submitted. The real-time aspect of it doesn't seem technically feasible without really long buffers, though.

i was thinking along the same lines. i also submitted.

rochester, ny
boomlinde wrote:

yeah, some of the descriptions may be misleading. it isn't meant to be real time control. it's more like, you upload your midi file, it gets placed into a queue behind other people who have uploaded stuff, and then it plays your midi through the synth while recording it, then sends you a link to the wav file.

Unsubscribe

IIRC there is a startup doing this with outboard gear like compressors preamps and hardware reverb devices atm. I cant figure out the google for it though.

rochester, ny
herr_prof wrote:

IIRC there is a startup doing this with outboard gear like compressors preamps and hardware reverb devices atm. I cant figure out the google for it though.

someone i know was insisting this idea already exists, maybe they were referring instead to what you're referring to? sounds like an awesome idea and a side i would definitely use a ton.

United States
nickmaynard wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

someone i know was insisting this idea already exists, maybe they were referring instead to what you're referring to? sounds like an awesome idea and a side i would definitely use a ton.

yeah there's definitely been mentions of this in tape op, but i think everyone who's tried to start services like this have failed.

probably the best way to launch a business doing online synth/gear sessions would be to integrate it into an existing online session musician platform, where you can rent a synthesist/engineer for an alloted amount of time. people like that probably already exist on session musician sites.

Last edited by Boner (Apr 22, 2014 5:00 am)

New Zealand

i would not personally use a service like this but i think others would wouldnt they? (i cant think of anyone off the top of my head that i know)
thats what vsti's are for aint they?
anyway filled out form

Tulsa, OK

man, everyone would use the same sounds...
filled out

Australia

Filled out :-)   Personally I'm more about hands on knobs when it comes to Synths.  :-P

Canada

FIlled out. Love hands on knobs;)

rochester, ny

thanks to everyone for taking the time to fill this out! we're at 60+ responses and they've all be incredibly constructive. CHIPMUSIC.ORG.